add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Brand New Asus 144hz Monitor Only Giving Option For 60hz

tjtepigstar

25 months ago

Hi! in control panel, my monitor is only giving me the option to select 60hz or lower. However, this is a 144hz monitor so I'm sure you can see the issue. I am using a HDMI cable that I bought from Amazon (I understand that DVI and VGA which came in the monitor box do not run 144hz, correct me if I'm wrong pls) because no HDMI cable came with the box.

Thanks!

Edit: fixed this issue but whoever stumbles across this may as well answer the next question. Can I hook up a second monitor from the motherboard DVI port?

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you need DisplayPort for such high refresh rate. HDMI won't cut it. HDMI 2.0 might if your devices (GPU and monitor) support it and the cable itself is HDMI 2.0 (not HDMI 1.4).

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I got a $5 1 foot cable. How likely is it to be HDMI 2.0?

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 25 months ago
  • 1 point

It would really depends on the resolution he is using, however, display port is his best option.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

1080p

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

what video card are you using? What monitor are you using?

In general for 144hz, you need to use DisplayPort or a dual link DVI-D cable. (a dual link cable will have all the pins in the 3x8 grid of pins. a single link cable would be two seperate 3x3 sets of pins in the main grid area)

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

According to Wikipedia, at 1080p, an HDMI cable needs a data rate of 8.24Gbit/s for 120Hz and a data rate of 10.00Gbit/s for 144Hz. HDMI 1.4 has a data rate of 8.16Gbit/s

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

hdmi will not allow you to use 144hz, use a different cable

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube