add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

m.2 SSD stuck on current read only state

Thorard
  • 25 months ago

My m.2 SSD started acting up after a force shut down. Windows wont boot (Bluescreens with a registry error) and when I try to access the SSD from my second copy of windows, it identifies as read only. I tried to clear the attributes using DISKPART in CMD as admin, but no luck(read only is gone, current read only state wont go away). Anyone know how to fix this? or RMA time?

System specs: Ryzen 3 1300x, Geil superluce 3000MHZ ram, Asrock killer SLI/ac, 2x MSI TF 3 GTX 660, SBZ, ADATA SX6000NP, Segate ST32000P44NS, Western digital blue 2tb hard drive.

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I try to access the SSD from my second copy of windows, it identifies as read only.

That is Windows trying to protect your data as in the new computer the other drive seems to be alien, and the user information saved in that drive does not match the user information of your working PC.

Try reading data outside of Window, Program Files, Program Data and other OS related folders. You should be able to read them just fine. Google if there is a workaround for this (maybe administrator mode?).

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm... Yeah, but I tried using CMD from the repair section of my windows installation flash drive, and also tried to use hiren's boot cd to nuke the drive. None of that worked either, IO error, which i'm assuming is the read only problem kicking in.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you just create a new folder on that drive's root directory? Does it work? Can you create new files in that folder?

E.g. if your SSD from the other PC is mounted on D:, then create a folder D:\Test. And in it create a file D:\Test\itWorks.txt and put some text in it and save it.

Does this work?

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Check the drive's SMART with CrystalDisk. If it finds something wrong RMA it.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

it says its fine

• 25 months ago
  • 0 points

If you have a secondary Windows installation running, perhaps you could install Adata's SSD utility and see if it will do anything (e.g. secure erase). I suspect it won't as it's very limited, but worth a try maybe.

Also have you tried the simple stuff, e.g. hard reset by switching off at the mains, or removing and re-seating the SSD in it's slot?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube