add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen 1600x idles at 50c

VibratoryGold7
  • 25 months ago

I have a Ryzen 1600x with a Cryorig C7 cooler on a Crosshair 6 motherboard, with a 3.9 GHz OC at 1.325v. I'm worried because it idles at 50c, sometimes dropping to ~45. I updated the bios, which fixed the 20c offset (It used to idle at 70c!). I tried reseating and tightening the cooler, and reapplying the thermal paste, but nothing helped. What can I do to fix this?

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you looking at these temps in Boise or in windows?

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

These are both in bios and HWMonitor

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Did u have this problem before overclocking? Remove the overclock and see if temps go back to normal.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

If not then i may have a fix for you. Just check whether removing OC works first.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

After removing the oc the temp dropped to 45c, but i think thats still too high

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

It does seem high for true idle. For example my 1700X/Thermalright Macho idles at around 25-30 celcius - and doesn't seem to change noticeably whether overclocked or not. I'm using the "Ryzen Balanced" AMD optimised power profile on Windows 10.

In testing I've seen, the C7 on the Ryzen performs about equal with the Wraith Spire (standard cooler on the 1600). An overclock at 3.9 will probably thermally throttle on very high loads (e.g. Handbrake encoding or Prime small FFT's). Stock speeds should be just about OK at all loads.

https://lanoc.org/review/cooling/7630-ryzen-itx-cooler-roundup?showall=&start=8

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean it's kinda high for idle temps, however, it's not in the dangerous range. Your cooler might be set up (with default fan curve) to not run until a certain temp (granted at 50°C that's unlikely). Make sure your cooler is in the fan headers labelled cpu_fan, make sure your case has adequate air flow, see what temps you get under load (try running prime95, or maybe a few benchmarks for a bit and seeing what it does-- I would try it first non oc, and then second with the oc) the cpu temps should stay relatively under 75°C under load, with the dangerous range starting at like 80C and the turn off the PC range at 85-90°C.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube