• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

supermattdab0ss 7 days ago

I an planning to do a little a lot of modding and am unsure how to connect a wire from an old power switch to a modern motherboard pin (so no solder). Does anyone know how you would do this?

Comments Sorted by:

tragiktimes101 1 point 6 days ago

So long as it's an intermittent pressure switch you can just use a 2-prong adapter to connect to the "+" and "-" pegs of your motherboards front header port. The wire that into both side of the switch's wires (positive or negative doesn't matter). A normal press will turn it on, a long press will force the shut-off, and a single press while on will initiate the shutdown process in the OS (just like a normal switch would)

supermattdab0ss submitter 1 Build 1 point 6 days ago

So there is the 2 jointed connector for the switch (missing), and 2 seperate(+/-) for the LED (also missing). So there is an adapter that conects the wire to the pin? What is the name of this adapter?

The one for the switch should be all you need.

https://www.amazon.com/Electop-Power-Button-Computer-Switch/dp/B01LMZZFWO/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515770409&sr=1-3&keywords=2+pin+pc+cable

You can either use their switches or cut the switch off and wire any intermittent pressure switch to it.

I just cut a 4 pin (3 would also work) fan port connector in half and used it.

supermattdab0ss submitter 1 Build 2 points 6 days ago

So then I wouls buy one of these with an LED and wire it up to my switch. Thanks!

Yep, and no problem!