add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Random Computer Freezes

tomymm
  • 25 months ago

Hi All,

I thought I would ask the community, but I recently built the following pc:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor £159.54 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler £41.59 @ Amazon UK
Thermal Compound ARCTIC - MX-2 4g Thermal Paste £3.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Motherboard Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard £104.95 @ AWD-IT
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory £179.99 @ Aria PC
Storage Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £122.50 @ Amazon UK
Storage Toshiba - 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive -
Video Card Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card £457.58 @ BT Shop
Case NZXT - S340 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case £73.53 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply *Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £58.98 @ Ebuyer
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit -
Wireless Network Adapter Asus - PCE-AC56 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter £44.49 @ Box Limited
Case Fan be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM 140mm Fan £19.69 @ Aria PC
Case Fan be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM 140mm Fan £19.69 @ Aria PC
Monitor Asus - MG278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor £430.32 @ Aria PC
Keyboard Razer - BlackWidow Chroma V2 Wired Gaming Keyboard -
Mouse Razer - Razer Naga 2014 Wired Laser Mouse £184.11 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1900.91
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-12 09:00 GMT+0000

For information, the CPU has been overclocked to 3.7 GHz and is stable. Prime 95 was ran for 12 hours with no reported issues.

The Problem - The pc will freeze and be unresponsive at random points. For example this has happened on the screen just before it loads into windows 10 (i.e. after the option to enter the BIOS has disappeared), on the home screen for windows 10, as well as in game.

This has completely stumped me. I have run through the tests on this page https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/solved-windows-10-freezes-locks-up-randomly-easily/ and past them all.

Next I am going to disassemble the build and run through the checklist on the tomshardware forum - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

Before I do the above, does anybody has any thoughts about what could be causing the cash to save me time and effort?

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

The freezing is a stability issue. Just because prime95 ran for 12 hrs is not a garuantee. Another important thing to note, though prime95 ran for however long without crashing, but did you read the text output in the application when it describes what each core on your CPU (labelled as workers 1-etc) is doing? The text (when a core does something wrong) will output a core failure note simply for that core not for the cpu as a hole, then that worker will be stopped while the other non failed workers continue. While the cpu may not be crashing your PC, somewhere there is a slight instability in your OC(s) . This post should be a good resource http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1646768/core-failed-prime95.html . (Due bear in mind, I am assuming that that is what happened, but I could have assumed wrong).

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the thought.

I can follow what you are talking about. I had it OC'ed at 3.8 HGz but the one or two of the workers kept crashing out. I tried receding to an OC of 3.7GHz and ran for 12 hours on Prime 95 with no crashes and workers were at 100% during the test. I think I just got a bad chip (silicon lottery speaking) as even at the max stable voltage of 1.375V, I was not stable at 3.8GHz.

If you think it is a OC problem I might try backing off further to 3.6 GHz and see if the problem persists. If it continues then I know it is not an OC problem.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I had a similar issue a few days ago trying to find my stability point (my i5 8600k I kicked up to 5.3GHz just to see if I could {I knew I couldn't}, I tried 4 times and it would freeze and restart while loading the windows login screen. So I dropped it down to 5.1GHz, got everything running, and opened prime95 but my PC froze in place for a few seconds trying to move my cursor to the prime95 icon. I though it was wierd, so I didn't open prime95 right away, but just to do normal desktop usage went and played around with settings I hadn't gotten to changing yet. Every once in a while another freeze. I ran prime95 and got two core failures (so in my case it actually found them). Lowered to 5GHz, and am now stable, no freezes (hanging), no crashes, no prime95 failures.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

When you say you experienced freezes, where they momentary or absolute? Mine are absolute and require a hard restart.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I've had gotten both. Some of the freezing (on lower (compared to the other) OCs were momentary. However, when I was messing around with 5.3GHz (just to be an idiot) I would get to the windows log in screen, get completely frozen, and my PC would restart itself.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, I tried taking the OC back, but I just had another hard freeze in game ...

[comment deleted]
  • 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the comment.

BIOS is update to date and I have downloaded all pending windows updates. I am just so confused ...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube