add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Motherboard not tightened properly?

Acharne

25 months ago

Not too long ago, I realised that I used the wrong screws for my motherboard (M3*5 screw flat instead of the 6-32 screw flats according to the NZXT S340 manual). Now, I left two of them in the middle of the mobo (left and right) since they're stripped and I can't necessarily do anything about them. The problem is that the ones that I've replaced don't seem to be all the way in. There's some gap between the screw head and the motherboard. I cannot twist/tighten them anymore further regardless if I put force into it and twist (which I know I shouldn't do). I can boot the PC and have it working without the motherboard making any movement, but I'm always paranoid that the motherboard may just randomly fall and break something or the screws will just loosen.

I don't have clear pictures merely because I'm too afraid to open the case again and potentially damage components, but here is an example (note this only applies to all the newly installed screws and not the two stripped ones):

https://imgur.com/a/oxwuq https://imgur.com/a/wVcQr

Please help! Thanks.

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

bumperino

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I would suggest replacing the stripped motherboard standoffs and putting in new 6-32 screws.

Standoffs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00213KL5I

6-32 Screws: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00213KKV8

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

The problem with this is that in order for me to remove the stand offs, I'd have to actually remove the two stripped screws first, which is evidently not going to happen considering it's not coming off. And if I wanted to remove the standoffs, I'd have to remove the entire motherboard which is a pain.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

You can use square nose pliers to grip the edges of the stripped screws. Just go slowly and carefully.

If your system is working fine otherwise, then the remaining screws should provide enough support.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not sure how tight you made those screws, but if it was tight enough to strip them completely then I am concerned about the rest of your PC.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

There's only 2 stripped screws in the middle of the mobo, which I completely ignored simply because I can't remove them. The rest look like they're tight, but there's some gap between the screwhead and the motherboard, but they don't seem to tighten anymore (It won't move any further).

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

If you stripped the screws tightening them you are going too tight. You are not holding together a battleship, you are simply holding a motherboard GENTLY in place.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm referring to the other screws. I'm not concerned about the 2 stripped screws (they just infinitely spin and won't come off regardless of what I do) considering that I cannot do anything about them. The other 6 screws have some gap between the screwhead and the motherboard, but I cannot twist/tighten them any further. I just wanted a confirmation whether I should really paranoid about this or not and that they're tight.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Try to GENTLY wiggle the motherboard around, maybe forward and back, side to side, does it move?

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Doesn't seem like it (I'm really afraid of opening the case right now so I haven't tried). I've booted the system like this for the past 3-4 days or so, and the motherboard doesn't seem to move. The screws look like they haven't been loosened whatsoever.

Not sure if this is going to be useful, but I've got a 3 fan gpu installed and usually that would bring hefty weight to the motherboard.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube