add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Unreal Temps with Cooler Master 120V

Eschaton

72 months ago

So I powered on my new build with the Cooler Master 120V installed for the first time last night. I used Arctice Silver's Ceramique 2 paste (quite a sizeable blob of it right over the center of the CPU), and I wanted the mounting plate to bleed heat off the backplate so I removed the plastic feet that keep the screws in place while you mount the assembly and then retightened those until everything was flush with the CPU/backplate and felt quite solid.

Now, this is cooling an Intel Xeon W3680 processor (socket 1366), 130TDP, non-OC'd at 3.33Ghz, and I'm running it on an EVGA FTW3 motherboard. When I was running it inside the HP z400 Workstation board that I found it in, with the air cooling solution that build had, my BIOS was reading idle temps of about 30-31 C. Now, with my water cooler and the new mobo, I'm getting a BIOS read of about 7 C! I'm thinking that's false, since I've heard that BIOS temp readings are not to be trusted, and moreover it just doesn't seem likely given my past experience with CPU temps.

What does PCPartPicker think?

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

If I'm not mistaken even Intel cpus have issues reading temps at lower temps (although not to the degree that the and chips do)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I've heard that too; I guess what's really wigging me out is that one motherboard seemed to read the temps just fine, but my new high-end motherboard is doing a terrible job of reading the temps (7 C is obviously false).

As a side note, the BIOS for the z400's motherboard was pretty cool for a workstation model; while you couldn't overclock anything, it did actually draw a temperature graph for your CPU, motherboard, and RAM, which was updated in real time. Haven't seen another BIOS that does that!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless you're running phase change cooling, you're not going to get colder than ambient temps (save for cases where you live in really cold places, and run an external radiator out your window). If your ambient temperature is at or below 7C (44.6F)... yow. :)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

OK, yeah. While my workshop is pretty chilly - ancient house with an unfinished basement - I'd bet it's nowhere near 44 degrees.

I have heard of people running rads out their window... rofl.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to get a fairly accurate temperature reading of anything you have a clear line of sight to this sort of thing is brilliant:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-n92fx

It won't give you a core temperature (obviously) but it'll give you the surface temperature of any part of the CPU/heat pipes that you can actually see.

I've used this sort of thermometer in classroom demonstrations when I was a science teacher and they're really good fun to use! :)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup, I use one of those when I'm volunteering in the kitchen at KoC functions. Unfortunately, I just tapped out my entire spending reserve to get the build I wanted, so this is out of reach for me right now. I will definitely have this on a birthday/christmas list in the future, however.

Thanks for the reminder!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube