• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

StonedCookie 5 months ago

So im in the market for a new monitor and i have the gtx 1060, i want to buy a 144hz monitor but it has freesync. So here is the couestion : do i experience tearing even if my gpu outputs less than 144hz and does the 1ms help by reducing that? Plz help me :)

Comments Sorted by:

AxEy 2 Builds 2 points 5 months ago

Ok the 1ms response time wont be the factor in this. So if you get a free sync display with the Nvidia card it means you wont be able to use the free sync technology to sync the frames with the refresh rate. You will experience screen tearing if your frames drop below say the 80-90s, because your refreshing so high at 144hz its not noticeable only when it starts to dip lower and the lower it goes the more you will experience it. I have both displays at 144hz one with Gsync one without and the one without only shows it at the 80s and below. So if you keep the frames high there is tearing just not be able to see it. You can use V-sync in games but that comes with a hit in input lag, not ideal for competitive gaming.

StonedCookie submitter 1 point 5 months ago

So for example in overwatch if im getting say 120fps i wont experience tearing so much as i would if i had 70fps ?

AxEy 2 Builds 1 point 5 months ago

Yes thats right.

StonedCookie submitter 1 point 5 months ago

You know if the Samsung c27fg70 is a good monitor ?

vulcan2512 1 point 5 months ago

It looks decent but only if you're ok with a curved monitor

AxEy 2 Builds 1 point 5 months ago

Yeh it does look like a decent monitor according to the specs, except the FreeSync is for AMD graphics cards. I would suggest looking at Gsync or even monitors without either, they definitely be cheaper. Are you in the U.S? whats your budget?

[comment deleted]
johnsrudtf 1 point 5 months ago

This is not true however. Otherwise there would be no use for screen sync technologies. You will get tearing when your output from the gpu does not match the refresh rate of the monitor; it doesn't matter which way the mismatch goes.