• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Táracair 5 days ago

So I'm looking for a new Motherboard for a Ryzen 7 1700x or 1800x. But there are so many and the reviews differ from site to site.

Would be nice to hear some of your experiences with boards you guys use with Ryzen CPU's and what you use your build for.

Comments Sorted by:

ASUSTECHMKTJJ ASUS 7 Builds 2 points 2 days ago

UEFI / BIOS is a critical part of ensuring stability, reliability, DRAM support and overall experience. Many reviews were completed early on with early builds and not representative of the current refinements/improvements present. I would consider a board like the PRIME X370-PRO it is feature rich, solid design and has had extensive UEFI releases ( currently 15 ). Along with the choice, your decision on DRAM is an important one and would recommend a kit on the QVL list.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Gilroar 1 point 5 days ago

Best to go with professional reviews Ryzen especially for early users has left a ton of misinformation out there on "Good" and "Bad" boards when in truth it changes with each BIOS revision.

If you are overclocking I would check out Buildazoids work.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3131-the-best-amd-ryzen-motherboards-for-overclocking-x370-b350

If not it really rarely matters Ryzen at Stock speeds is very efficient and most boards on the market can handle those CPU so look more for needed features.

Because "Good" or "Bad" boards change very quickly.

King_Christian 1 Build 1 point 5 days ago

Do you have any motherboards you would reccomend to stay away from when trying to overclock Ryzen? Just curious.

Gilroar 1 point 5 days ago

Low end ASRock B350 the HDV, DGS etc no heatsinks and poorly built VRM

Asus MATX boards other then the TUF same reasons as above.

MSI B350M Gaming Pro cut down VRM even though it has a heatsink.

Those are really not even able to properly handle 4-core CPU if you are running 6-8 cores see Buildazoids work He goes far more in depth.

King_Christian 1 Build 1 point 5 days ago

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check out Buildazoids.

Superb_Falcon 1 point 4 days ago

Question! How bout MSI's Bazooka?

Gilroar 2 points 4 days ago

Other then the B350M Gaming Pro all MSI MATX boards are using the same power delivery a 4-phase design but they use lower spec caps on the form factor and the full sized PC Mate, so longevity under heavy load is going to make them more prone to failures over time.

It shouldn't be an issue at stock or up to safe voltage (1.35v) on a 6-core but overclocking a 8-core even at safe voltages is going to stress them and you should make sure to keep airflow directed at the power delivery.

For some reason they don't upgrade the caps on any of them to what they use on either Tomahawk or the Gaming Plus.

Or offer the doubled 4-phase you see on the Gaming Pro Carbon, Krait, or X370 models.

With the doubled 4-phase you lower temperatures so the caps are not stressed as hard and last longer and work more efficiently. Personally if I was overclocking a 8-core I wouldn't bother with anything less then the MSI doubled 4-phase, Asus B350 Strix, or a better X370 it just isn't worth the risk of an early failure and buying a new board.

Or just get a "X" model and leave it at stock for basically the same performance at no risk and have a wider selection of workable designs.

Superb_Falcon 1 point 4 days ago

Well, I'll most probably go with a 6 core Ryzen/Ryzen2, and I wan't to overclock as a learning experience. Thanks for the info as always!

anish.shanbhag@yahoo.com 1 point 4 days ago

I guess I'm not very experienced or anything, but for my first build with the Ryzen 5 1600, I used the asrock ab350 pro4. Everything works and I've had no problems. The white and black aesthetic I like. And it has plenty of features considering I got it for around 70 bucks. So I would definitely recommend it. Can't say anything about oc performance since I'm not experienced there.

Lynczus 1 point 2 days ago

AsRock Taichi