• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Chablo 8 months ago

I have an RX 550 4GB running with a ryzen 3 1300x. I want to get a 144hz or 1440p monitor. But I don't know what combo would be great for me. Should I go 144hz or 1440p? I want a 1060 but they are out of stock everywhere! If I have to settle for a 1050ti I will. But can I use a 1440p or a 144hz monitor with it?

What's my best way to go about this?

Comments Sorted by:

FogRender 2 points 8 months ago

My GTX 970 was fried by Shadow of Mordor ........ boo hiss. Anyway, I found myself in this terrible market for a new graphics card. I found a GTX 1060 on Newegg yesterday for $280. Only 3 gb but man things are tight.

Today I saw a 3gb 1060 on Amazon available for pre-order (3 days) for $230. Both these deals are gone as of now, but you can stumble across cards that are only slightly ridiculous, as opposed to being beyond stupid price.

I'd suggest you stay at 1080p for now and wait out this madness if you can.

Gilroar 1 Build 1 point 8 months ago

I want to get a 144hz or 1440p monitor. But I don't know what combo would be great for me. Should I go 144hz or 1440p?

What are you doing with your system?

If I have to settle for a 1050ti I will. But can I use a 1440p or a 144hz monitor with it?

Yes just be aware that with 144hz the CPU will often hold you back from maxing out the monitor but this is title or use specific and is true no matter what CPU is used.

And 1440p will require reduced settings in order to achieve decent frame rates in many uses/titles.

Chablo submitter 1 Build 1 point 8 months ago

Using it for GTA V/theHunter COTW/theHunter Classic. I do not need ULTRA setting medium to high is great for me! I use a 32" LCD HDTV right now. I just want a monitor that has a nice picture. Looking to spend $200-$400 I'd like curved and 27" or bigger. I want a 1060 but the shortage is crazy + the price. I just don't know what card would be great for my computer with a decent monitor.

Rezzzyyyy 2 Builds 0 points 8 months ago

take a look at my build i push 1080p 144p on high/ultra if you would like a reference. However, as it would appear the mining hype is just beginning as a 1060 6gb has sky rocketed to ~$600 i truely believe the used market is the only way to go as of now so i would recommend that. I picked up my EVGA Gtx 970 for $100, which has comparable performance to a 1060 6gb (~$600)

[comment deleted]
Gilroar 1 Build 1 point 8 months ago

Can you use a 1050 ti with a 1440p monitor? Sure. Are you going to get an enjoyable experience in games with it at that resolution? No.

Graphics settings would need to be reduced but no amount of raising graphics settings makes "Bad" experiences better, Just as Lowering settings doesn't take away from "Good" experiences.

The only thing that changes is the amount of eye candy you have.

[comment deleted]
Gilroar 1 Build 0 points 8 months ago

Not Stupid really.

There are no options right now for a card that can do high or better settings at either the resolution or the refresh rate the poster is looking at in most titles.

So you have to change how you view the problem.