add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 7 Coffee Lake

Ge0rge3boy
  • 28 months ago

I have an old Dell desktop that come with windows 7 (have the sticker with the key on it) I am currently building a new PC with a coffee lake or Ryzen CPU and looking at cutting costs. Will I be able to install the windows 7 on my new desktop build that is on my dell and upgrade to windows 10 for a cheaper price than buying windows 10 outright?

If not, any advice on the really cheap ones on ebay/amazon?

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 5 points

... old Dell desktop that come with windows 7 ...

No. That is an OEM version of Windows.

Microsoft OEM Software Licensing: Rules & Restrictions:

OEM Software may NOT be transferred to another machine. Even if the original laptop, PC or Server is no longer in use, or if the software is removed from the original hardware, OEM licenses are tied to the device on which the software is first installed...

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

Also they ended the free upgrade 15 days ago.

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

I just got the free upgrade this past weekend.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

• 28 months ago
  • 3 points

What the hell Microsoft. They said they was stopping it at the end of 2017. They can never make up their mind about anything.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Microsoft, Microsoft, Microsoft...

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I know man lol.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Huh. It says "Thank you for your interest in Windows 10. The free upgrade offer extension for Windows 7 and Windows 8 customers who use assistive technologies expired on December 31, 2017." when I click on it.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep, it's over now.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Odd. Maybe they had a buffer zone of a couple weeks? I was on W7 since 2011 or 2012 and now sitting on W10 through that link. Sorry dude, not really sure how to explain it.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

So, essentially no for 3 or more reasons.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

It's an OEM key, so you can't use it on your new PC because it's tied to the motherboard on the computer it was installed on first. Also windows 7 doesn't work on coffee lake.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. No...that won’t work.

2. To address compatibility: You can run a modern secure host OS such a Linux distribution (and use Virtualbox then load and use windows 7 (requires a good activation key)...can’t hurt to try your existing key first but it’s very unlikely they would let it fly.

3. Virtualbox probably isn’t going to be great for gaming. You’ll also need “guest additions” and “extension pack” installed...it’s a learning curve.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VTC4k6SLWY

This video addresses this issue. It may help.

• 28 months ago
  • -2 points

I'm not sure if it's only on Amazon Canada, but they sell extremely reliable copies of Windows 10 for 30$ (OEM of course)

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I can almost guarantee that the keys sold for 30 are being solid via third party. It makes it a bit messier now with 3rd party sellers and worth a check to make sure it's being sold from Amazon.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah sorry, I meant it is being sold on Amazon not by Amazon. I'm absolutely sure that it is not a legit copy of Windows though.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

How about that free 'assisted' upgrade? I read it's still possible to activate Win 7 to 10 via that route.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube