add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Yet Another (Another) Linus Tech Tips Comparison - FX 8350 vs i5 3570K Overclocked

johnwaskins

78 months ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHnsfIJtZ2o

There you go. Hope you enjoy it.

It seems Windows 8 does give better gaming performance. However, it should also be noted that there is the critical difference in interface that some may not like.

Another thing to consider is that the AMD 900 series chipsets don't offer PCIe 3.0 yet, which will become a very big deal in the next generation of GPUs (from what rumors I've gathered so far).

Hope this helps. Seeya guys later.

Comments

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

nice to see a review that actually factors in the price difference and overclockability of the different chipsets. it's irritating when reviewers talk about the i5-3570k and the FX-8350 like the cpu and motherboards for them all cost the same.

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, yes, the price difference may be apparent. But, also remember that the 970 chipset can't support multi-GPU (like CrossFire or SLI), and the 990FX chipset is more similarly prices to the Z77 chipset.

Remember that PCIe 3.0 is going to be a big thing in next-gen GPUs. If AMD doesn't step up their chipset, the 900 series chipset is going to be known as the chipset that killed a platform.

• 78 months ago
  • 2 points

There are 3 chipsets in the 900 series

990fx - 38 lanes (16x/0x/16x/0x or 8x/8x/8x/8x)

990x - 22 lanes (16x/0x or 8x/8x)

980/970 - 22 lanes (16x/4x only)

You can crossfire on a 16x/4x, but you've probably got a huge bottleneck there with the 2nd card.

In a 2 card configuration that support pci express 3.0, the 990 fx and the z77 have exactly the same bandwidth (two 2.0 x16 slots or two 3.0 x8 slots). The advantage of the 990fx has is that it can support 3 and 4 cards even if they are cut down to 8x pci express 2.0 each. Although the z77 can do a third card on some boards, that third slot is only 4x 2.0.

One card = advantage z77

Two cards = equal

three or four cards = advantage 990fx

I'm also only talking about native chipset lanes. Any board can have an add-on chip that adds more lanes, but you're going to pay a premium for these.

I would also add that the 990fx chipset DOES support 3.0, but it has not yet been implemented on any board that has come to market. They do exist though.

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes. The ASUS SABERTOOTH GEN 3 supports PCIe 3.0, but isn't out yet. It's a shame, though.

I do agree with what you said; makes perfect sense.

Also, I'd like to point out that Z77 motherboards can include a PLX chip, meaning they can get 2x PCIe 3.0 x16 @x16, or 32 PCIe 3.0 lanes total. It'll cost premium, though.

However, it should be noted that this often comes standard in X79 boards, and the entry-level LGA 2011 CPU is about the same performance as the 3770K, while also natively running a better chipset (and allows for future upgrades with the upcoming Ivy Bridge E CPUs).

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

It's out now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131969

for $200, I'm not sure it fits into the class of boards that we're talking about, but man that looks like a sweet board.

This board looks like this:

16x/0x/16x + 16x 2.0 16x/8x/8x + 16x 2.0

Keep in mind 16x of 2.0 = 8x of 3.0.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes. So, it's 32 PCIe 3.0 lanes, and some extra PCIe lanes of other widths.

Yes, it is a great board. 32 (or more) PCIe lanes is what you'd expect on most LGA 2011 boards, of those 300$+ Z77 boards elite overclocking boards.

It's really refreshing to see PCIe 3.0 on AMD systems, for a nice price of 200$. There are still a lot of things which could be better; I would love to see wireless included (with reverse-RCA jacks for aftermarket antennas), a/b/g/n up to 300mbps (or 450mbps) using dual-band.

I'd love to have seen 4x USB 3.0 headers, 8x USB 3.0 on the back panel. The audio chipset being a mere ALC 892 is sort of underwhelming, really. I'd expect better from the premier AMD performance board. Speaking of which, why not make a ROG AMD PCIe 3.0 board soon?

Also, why not Dual LAN with BigFoot NICs? There are a lot of little things that could be done to make this board better. 1x 24-pin ATX, +2x 8-pin ATX would allow for MASSIVE overclocks, absolutely insane stuff.

Heck, but this wishlist for an AMD board would have to be at least that rumored AMD Centurion 5Ghz chip we're hearing about.

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

the graphic card i choose is HD 6870,so PCIe 3.0 doesn't make any difference.So if i want to crossfire, which chipset will be the best? ( I'M IN BUDGET )

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, between 990fx and z77, the 990fx will give you more bandwidth. I'm not sure you'll notice much of an actual difference though. Depends on which cpu you want also.

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

if i can get my GPU to run at PCIe 2.0 x16@x16 and my other GPU run at x16@x8?will it have a huge difference?

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

970 chipset doesn't support SLI/Crossfire ?

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think so. From my knowledge, it only supports 1x PCIe 2.0 x16 @x16.

If I'm also not mistaken, it doesn't support SLI or CrossFire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_900_chipset_series#970

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/chipsets/9-series-integrated/Pages/amd-970-chipset.aspx

(AMD says it only supports ONE graphics card in PCIe 2.0 x16 @x16 ... so, I guess that's definitive. I hope this explains it to you. n.n )

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

Hhmmm... the 970 chipset isn't supposed to natively support that. Moreover, it allows multiple GPUs, yes but while one GPU will run at PCIe 2.0 x16 @x16, the other will run at PCIe 2.0 x16 @x4. This means the bandwidth is severely limited, and does not offer any truly useful CrossFire or SLI capability for gaming.

This would be a bottleneck nightmare, no matter how you go about it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube