add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help with connecting the Kraken x62 and AER RGB fans with the z270I motherboard in the Manta case - confused on the PWM cable and fan headers and what to connect to HUE+

mantarayleveler
  • 25 months ago

I have the ASUS z270I motherboard, Kraken x62, Manta case, a bunch of the AER RGB fans, the HUE+, and G.SKILL Tridentz RGB ram.

1. I’ve daisy-chained the fans together. The first fan’s IN port has a controller cable connecting to the HUE+. I’ve also connected all fans to the “fan extensions” cable coming off the Kraken x62 (http://media.bestofmicro.com/S/3/466275/gallery/NZXT_Kraken-X61_cables_w_600.jpg - the 4-pronged cable on the right). Do I need to connect the last fan’s OUT port back to the HUE+ into the (2) slot (https://i1.wp.com/blog.nzxt.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/How-to-Install-Aer-RGB-Step-3.png?resize=800%2C800), or do I leave the last fan’s OUT port empty?

2. The Manta case has a PWM cable on the back, as well as an extension cable that plugs into the white prongs beside the PWM cable. Right now, I’ve plugged the PWM cable into the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard, and I’ve plugged the Kraken’s 3-slot fan header (http://media.bestofmicro.com/S/3/466275/gallery/NZXT_Kraken-X61_cables_w_600.jpg - the second one from the left) into the extension cable. Should I be plugging the Kraken's fan header into the AIO_PUMP header on the motherboard? The Manta manual I think tells me to plug it in into the extension cable.

Right now, with my current configuration (last fan's OUT port is empty, Manta case's PWM cable into CPU_FAN and Kraken's fan header into the Manta case's extension cable), when I plug in all the power cables into the power supply and turn it on, my fans and the Kraken light don't turn on, so I think something is wrong. The motherboard, the HUE+ and the internal USB hub are all turned on though. My ram's led also don't turn on, but I think I need to install software first for that. I also don't have a video card installed yet.

Also with this motherboard, it seems like I'm leaving the USB 3.1 header empty. I have a 3.0 to 2.0 adapter that connects from the motherboard's 3.0 adapter into an internal usb hub, and I plugged in the HUE+ and the Kraken x62 into the internal usb hub.

Hope someone can advise! Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor $214.90 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $147.49 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX Z270i GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $178.00
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $224.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $118.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition Video Card -
Case NZXT - Manta (White/Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case $118.00
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $108.88 @ OutletPC
Case Fan NZXT - Aer RGB140 (3-pack) 71.6 CFM 140mm Fans $82.79 @ SuperBiiz
Case Accessory NZXT - Hue+ LED Controller $56.28 @ Amazon
Other NZXT Internal USB Hub $23.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1283.22
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $1273.22
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-19 16:54 EST-0500

Comments

There are no comments.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube