add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Memory OC on Asrock Motherboard issue

Sanity_Logic
  • 25 months ago

Hello everybody, I've had this Asrock x370 Fatal1ty K4 Gaming motherboard in my build for a number of months. Now I know how Ryzen REALLY loves faster memory, so I bought a 3000Mhz kit by Gskill, they are the Gskill RIPJAWS V 8GBx2 kit. Now, the problem is is that I cannot, for what ever the life of me, push the memory past 2800Mhz, even 2900Mhz is unstable, and after a long session of use the system crashes. I've even made sure my BIOS are on the latest. Now, I'm pretty new to memory overclocking, though I did try some methods that I've been told though non of them have worked with successful results. I've messed with the timings and the latency as well as the voltage, whilst still being conservative, because I don't want to over do it with the voltage. Any information and/or help would be much appreciated. If you need to know my system specs, here they are: R7 1700 @3.8Ghz Asrock x370 Fatal1ty K4 Gaming GSkill Ripjaws V 2x8GB @3000Mhz (Downclocked ot 2800Mhz) EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 PSU and storage aren't really relevant, so I'm leaving them out for now.

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 2 points

I thought I'd do just one update here to show what I have done. Okay, so I've tightened the timings and latency, and I saw a really nice performance bulster! 13-14-14-14 34 is what I have. I'm going to try some more when I can, it's just so exciting seeing this.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to hear. Concurs with other stuff I've read about a blend of speed and low latency working well. I could probably tune my memory further, but I'm using the cheapest stuff I could find - plain Crucial DDR4-2133 without heat spreaders. It still overclocks a fair bit from the factory specs though. Make sure to check for stability before finalising your settings - Prime 95 blend test is quite good, also Memtest x86.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

So two questions: For your ram, are you setting the speed manually, or are you using the factory XMP profile? If not I would switch over to the factory XMP profile which should bring you up to the right clock speeds. Sometimes Ryzen cous, even though they receive good benefits from faster ram, may not let it run above certain speeds. I have seen soemtines that Ryzen builds won't pass 2933MHz or so. I would also check specifically your motherboards ram compatibility list and see what they say.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey, thank you for the response. I've been using manual, though I did try XMP prior when I first got the kit, I remember that I couldn't reach 3Ghz on the memory period. I'll make sure to sift through Asrocks website to see what is supported.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

So it didn't take much to find out that my memory is sadly not supported for the high overclocking. Dang. Well the back story to why I got this memory was that it was only $120 USD, and it was a 16GB kit which was appealing to me. Any who, thank you for your time and help, I'll ensure to take note of this so I don't repeat it again.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

To be fair, you are probably not missing out on much, and $120 for 16 Gb is a really good deal at this moment. You might be able to tighten the timings over the standard XMP profile timings to get better results.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I can try and hone in on my overclocking abilities. I'll do some research to see what timings would yield excelling results. Thank you for the heads up!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube