add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New build, but getting solid red light on CPU. Maybe the motherboard's a dud?

CounterCulture
  • 25 months ago

I built my PC back in December, but I got a solid red light on the CPU and no picture on my monitor. After a while the problem fixed itself and I was online and everything. Then my PC crashed three times in one day. Next day I got a solid red light on the CPU and no picture. I assumed it was the CPU so I bought a replacement. The exact same thing happened. Is it possible my motherboard is just a dud, or should I buy an after market CPU cooler maybe (currently using Wraith cooler that came with the cpu. May buy a cooler master hyper 212 Evo when the problem is fixed)?

Parts:

CPU: AMD FX8350 Black Edition CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Cooler (came with CPU) Motherboard:. Asus M5a99FX Pro r2.0 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb (2x8) DDR3

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd try the Wraith cooler with new thermal paste (if you don't have thermal paste anywhere around, just buy a new cooler, but a bulky one, 125TDP are no joke)

130 - 150 TDP

or even this 200 TDP

those are cheap, efficent and good quality... basically german engineering

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Ridiculous.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah, I'd say so too if the PC wasn't running before and crashed 3 times in one day.

It may not be the cooling though. Maybe a bent pin, thermal paste in the socket, 8pin CPU power not giving enough volts, defective MOBO... some possibilites.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Unlikely heat is the issue, since a machine needs to generally turn on before it can overheat. More likely faulty motherboard/RAM/PSU.

Test the machine bare-bones, without memory or CPU installed. It should turn on with an error. If it does turn on, install CPU and attempt again. If it turns on, insert one DIMM and try again. If the system doesn't work with the one DIMM, remove it and try the other DIMM.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube