add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Possible to transfer OEM Windows 10 on prebuilt PC to new drive?

JRY
  • 28 months ago

Since ram and gpu prices are stupid right now, I've decided to just go for a prebuilt pc since they're actually better value. I've found some decent pcs, but my main gripe with them is that they only have an hdd. Would it be possible to get an ssd and then transfer the oem windows 10 over to it? And if so, does anyone have a guide for doing that?

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, it would. The OS, so long as on the same motherboard, can be transferred to a new storage device. I recommend AOMEI Partition Assistant for the transfer. They have a very simple tool to move the OS from the HDD to an SSD.

• JRY
  • submitter
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, that's good. Gonna assume you don't need the activation code right?

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Right.

• JRY
  • submitter
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Great then. I guess I'll go ahead with buying an ssd

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

You have any in mind? The SK Hynix SL308 is great for the 120GB segment, and the Cruxial MX500 or Samsung EVO 850 are great options above that mark.

• JRY
  • submitter
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm I'm actually looking at some ssds right now. Do you have any somewhat cheaper recommendations for ssds in the ~240 gb range?

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Second on AOMEI. I have love the free version for all things needing backing up and have also changed SSDs for my OS with ease. No guide needed :-)

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Buy the complete version and never go with OEM again.

• 28 months ago
  • 0 points

You need to buy a new lisence first.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

As long as the motherboard doesn't change, OEM licenses can be transferred.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

It seems he intends to.... oh.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube