add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC won't start from gpu

JJJYXMR
  • 25 months ago

This isn't for me and is for a friend. He purchased a Acer Aspire TC 780 a week ago. He ended up putting a gigabyte gt 1030 in the computer but now it won't start. Computer works before we put the card in, does not start when we put the GPU (interestingly enough when everything else was plugged in kb/m + monitor the keyboard gets power as in the lights turn on but nothing else). Fans spin as soon as we turn on the power but it immediately shuts off.

Thoughts on what the issue can be? (it has a 300w psu).

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 2 points

I also went into bios and enabled power to pci connectors

• 25 months ago
  • 2 points

Bump. Tried removing all parts and put it back in but no help

• 25 months ago
  • 2 points

went ahead and returned the graphics card and tried another one in hopes that the card i received was defective, but the issue remains the same.

• 25 months ago
  • 2 points

Are you plugging the display wire into the motherboard or graphics card? You are supposed to plug it into the graphics card.

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

And to clarify, yes I also tried powering the computer with an HDMI cable connected into the graphics as well as without any display cables connected anywhere.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds to me like it could be the issue. Where did the OP turn it on and receive a display?

Computer works before we put the card in, does not start when we put the GPU [in] (interestingly enough when everything else was plugged in kb/m + monitor the keyboard gets power as in the lights turn on but nothing else).

Fans spin as soon as we turn on the power but it immediately shuts off.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

OP? The display connector IMO has nothing to due with the power outage just due to the fact that I didn't even connect the display cable into the computer. This issue doesn't resolve around display but rather power in the computer as a whole. It's clear that the motherboard is still receiving power as after the GPU is placed and the computer is turned on, the KB/M stays powered whereas everything else shuts off. The fans being an example, they spin and then immediately stop spinning.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, I see. Sorry about the confusion. I suppose if you didn't screw the card into the case, but rather left it dangling only halfway in the PCIe slot, then perhaps it could be a simple contact issue. It's not very likely, but worth a try.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Some computers need secure boot turned off before they will work with a 3rd party GPU.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I will go ahead and check this out, thank you!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube