add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GPU Severe Heat Issue

GeoDashZorra
  • 25 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/GeoDashZorra/saved/Yqc6Mp

That's my build.

I've been playing a lot of Fortnite Battle Royale 1080p 120fps max settings, and recently my GPU has started to do this really scary thing. I'm mid-game and then my monitor goes black, GPU fans go to 100% and sounds like a jet engine. I put my hand near the exhaust fan of my case and it is pretty hot. I got the 1070 almost two years ago on June 26th. Never overclocked it before. Really I have no clue what happened to it, the case I am using is pretty spacious and there is a lot of room for the GPU to breathe.

What happened to my GPU :(

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

What are the temps? You passed maximum heat recommendation it seems. Sorry, but your card is likely shot. Is it still working?

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't check the temps because my GPU just shuts off so I have to restart my computer.

It works after I restart it but when I start to game it happens after an hour or two under intense load.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Well don't put it under intense load. Give it 5 min break after every hour to avoid more permanent damage.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Putting new thermal paste on the GPU might help and set a more aggressive fan curve. It may be louder but it will help keep things cooler. EVGA has a good tuning utility and so does MSI. You can also set a thermal target so the GPU throttles to keep under that temperature. You could also try undervolting but depending on the card it might not work correctly with less power.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

does it look dusty?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube