add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New PC build having issues installing Windows

Bluefox89
  • 28 months ago

I've been trying for the last 4 days to install windows 10 on a new budget PC for my sister. When the installer gets to the part where its "Getting files ready for installation" the pc either restarts or freezes. With a usb drive version of the installer it always seems to lock up around 15% and a DVD version has gotten as high as 80% before it locks up. I've also noticed that some time there will be a graphical artifact running at the top side to side when it locks up. I'm completely lost.

Specs AMD - Athlon X2 340 Cooler Master - Hyper T4 MSI - A68HM-E33 V2 PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 MSI - GeForce GT 710 2GB EVGA - B3 450W

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

This is not a full, definitive answer.

Some quick browsing online shows that the Athlon you have is primarily 32-bit. It can have 64-bit support, but only after you install a few drivers, which, since you installed already, I guess were not installed.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Captaincow285! I'll check into that. Shoot I hope I don't have to buy another processor

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm spit-balling but are you using the 64-bit version of windows 10 or the 32-bit? I would think with the 32-bit version it wouldn't like 16gb of ram.

Also might want to look and see if your Bios is up to date...that might help.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/A68HM-E33-V2

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the 64 bit version of windows 10. The 32 bit version would cap the ram at 4 GB. Maybe I could install the 32 bit version update all the drivers and then upgrade to 64 bit version.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Not an apples to apples comparison but i have a Athlon X2 245 and it runs 64-bit version of pfSense for my router. I've never tried to use it for Windows 10. My bet is it don't like that ram on that board for some reason. Maybe get down to 4gb and try the 64-bit Windows again and then if it makes it add back the ram and see what happens. Edit or just try with the one stick of 8gb ram.

Option 2: Get a lightweight linux distro. Search Lubuntu or Linux Lite. Download the iso and create a bootable usb. Fire it up in live version...this would basically prove if the computer is capable of booting.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Why an Athlon, they are ancient? That is probably the problem, try installing 32 bit windows.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah its ancient AF. I was trying to do this as cheap as possible which is part of the problem. I got the Ram free. I knew I should have gone with an A6 or an A8. According to literally every resource I have seen says the Athlon supports 64 bit architecture. But ill make a 32 bit windows USB drive (hopefully that will work) and then update the drivers which hopefully will work.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube