add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ok to temporarily attach old HD to new comp??

Chiclet413
  • 24 months ago

I'm not sure if this is technically troubleshooting but it seems like the best category to post in. I may post in the "storage" thread as well just in case this isn't the right place. If that's not ok and you're an admin please let me know and I will delete one of them. :-)

My current computer is SO slow plus it either has some type of malware or the hard drive is going out or it's got a ton of stuff going on in the background that I don't know about. I'm wanting to move about a TB of pictures and software over to an external SSD drive, and eventually add a copy of everything from the SSD drive to the new computer. Can I hook up my old hard drive to the new computer first so I can utilize its speed? And then once it's done take it out and install the new HD I just bought? It takes about an hour just to move over a couple gig! I know they make adapters where you can access a HD externally but I don't have one and I really want to get this done tonight.

Also please explain to me how malware physically works. If the old one is running slow because it has some type of virus or something could that effect my new CPU if I hook them up together for a few hours? Sorry if that's a really dumb question lol. Viruses are just in random places on the PC right? Not on any of my picture files or trusted software like Photoshop? Am I understanding correctly??

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok.

What's the CPU?

Also, malware is stored in the OS drive, not the CPU. Any new CPU you install would be affected by the possible virus, but not carry it with them to other PCs. Malware hides itself in software or websites, and does something. Some malware steals information, others ransom your PC. It might piggyback into your PC on another program, like Photoshop or some web browser. However, I doubt it is a virus. It's likely slowness caused by background programs. In essence, malware is software, like a game - only this program hates you.

If you want to make sure it is not a virus, download Malwarebytes Free, and use it's scanner application to quarantine and delete any found viruses. Otherwise, I would suggest you backup your data, and run a fresh install of your OS. If you have Windows 10, search up "Reset this PC" in the search bar. Otherwise, tell me what version of Windows you have, and I will give you instructions.

Reinstalling the OS makes the computer like new. No programs, no viruses.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok let me see if I can answer your questions. If I'm not understanding something correctly please let me know. I'm building a new, totally virgin, PC tonight. I'll post my parts list when I'm done typing this. My old PC is OLD. Maybe like 7 or 8 years old. It's running Windows 7. All the things you suggested I do with it would be impossible because of the state it's in. If I try to open anything, control panel for instance, it takes several minutes. That's per click! It is basically unusable at this point. Is it ok to do all those things after it's hooked up to the new PC? Also, I'm VERY embarrassed to admit this part, it's a long boring story but about a year ago I was trying to make a copy of all my pictures to another partition but accidentally copied it to the same drive. There's more to it than that but in short, I have 2 TB total that now is completely filled up except for a few gig or so. Maybe less, I can't remember.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor $312.79 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z370 HD3 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $122.89 @ OutletPC
Memory Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $90.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $168.87 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital - Blue 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $84.19 @ OutletPC
Case Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $90.80 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG - WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $48.89 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit $179.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1234.19
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $1204.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-02 20:49 EST-0500
  • 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah.

You can still breathe life into your old PC. Back up anything you think you want to save, then go here: Microsoft Store and download the Windows 7 ISO onto a flask drive. Then install it. It'll freshen up the PC right, and you have a legitimate product key to reactivate it.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your help!!

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

The way malware works, depends on the type of Malware, and what it's purpose was.

EDIT: I have deleted 4 essay-like explanations now, so I am just going to cut to the chase. If you want to know about malware, you would be best off googling it. But to break things down for you, I have the following:

• Your cpu isn't going to get a virus.
  • If you connect your other Hard drive to your desktop (which has malware on it) it is possible it too could get malware {Good malware likes to replicate itself, and hide itself into what we're previously normal files}.
  • If you think you have malware, the best thing to do is to run a scan. Download Malwarebytes, it's free, and will clean up pretty much all of the common malware you'd pick up.
  • Think you have programs slowing down your PC? Press Ctrl+shift+Esc to access task manager, then look and see what is running. Many of the programs you may not recognize, but before you force stop them, then go to remove them, I would visit a website like shouldiremoveit and see what the program actually is.
  • Use common sense. Don't download things that look sketchy. Or if something seems to be true, it probably is. (For example, FREE VIRUS REMOVE TOOL popups or WE HAVE DETECTED ILLEGAL ACTIVITY ON YOUR IP ADDRESS popups or YOU HAVE WON $5,000 WALMART GIFT CARD or FREE ADOBE PHOTOSHOP or OUR SYSTEMS HAVE DETECTED A VIRUS ON YOUR MACHINE or WE HAVE DETECTED x% OF YOUR SYSTEM IS DAMAGED or well get the point).
  • 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your help!! I’ll def check out shouldiremoveit!!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube