add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I can't boot anything when using all 4 ram sticks from my 4x8GB kit.

YumKaax
  • 24 months ago

Hi guys,

I have a 4x8GB ram kit from Corsair, but I'm having trouble using all 4 ram sticks.

Everything is working perfectly fine when I only put 2 of the 4 ram sticks in the motherboard, but whenever I put 3 or 4 in it, I can power on the PC, but no video signal is sent out, so I can't even access the BIOS, let alone boot into Windows. It seems that everything is getting the power that it needs, but it won't boot anything.

This is my build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/YumKaax/saved/hRBtJx

I have tried different things in the BIOS, I tried using XMP, I tried setting the voltage and frequency manually, according to the motherboard and ram kit specs and what people suggested for almost identical or at least very similar builds.

I tried putting the ram sticks in the different slots to make sure they all work and everything works as it should, the problem only occurs whenever I have more than 2 sticks on the motherboard.

Any idea of what could be the problem or any suggestions as to how I can fix it/figure out what is wrong?

Any help is appreciated! :)

Edit: Ignore the "Warning: These parts have potential issues/incompatibilities." on my build, that's because of the fact that my Motherboard came out before my CPU, and it wasn't compatible at launch, but an update fixed it. You can see that as well if you click "See details"

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless I'm reading something way wrong, your parts list says your system could be pulling an estimated 495W under load through a 550W PSU... and the list doesn't even include any fans or lighting or peripherals. That's not an amount of power headroom I'd be at all comfortable with; for a 500W build I'd be wanting at least a 750W PSU, probably more like 850W+ ideally.

Have you got access to a higher wattage PSU to try all four DIMMs with that? That's the first thing I'd check. You may simply not have enough power to serve all four sticks in your current setup, and you'll be working your 550W PSU very hard as things stand.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube