add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

RAM or Motherboard failure ???

breakerion
  • 24 months ago

Hello community, any help will be appreciated.

Cpu: i5-6500 (non overclock) Fan: Cryorig M9 Mboard: Gigabyte H170 ITX/wifi and H270 ITX/wifi RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin - BLS2K4G4D240FADG Non EEC 1.2v 116-16-16-39 DDR4 PC4-19200 • 16-16-16 • Unbuffered • 512Meg x 64 ,LEAD FREE GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC PSU: Seasonic 550W HDD, Seagate 1TB - 7200 RPM SSD: INtel 530 256GB Optical Drive ASUS 1 intake and 1 exhaust fan

All started suddenly with 5 beeps and restarts, no previous or recent changes except the new Cryorig M9 Cpu Fan months ago, after trying alternating the Dimms my conclusion was that slot 1 in Mboard was compromised since both DImms worked fine in slot 2, got a brand new GIGABYTE H270 Mini-ITX Wifi and naively placed both Dimms and no post or video in initial attempt, hours of clear cmos and disconnecting BIOS batttery without any result regardless if only one dimm or both, finally after doing another Clear CMOS with a paper clip got post with only one dimm, BIOS welcome was a popup message saying that it was recovering from a failure I can't recall exactly what it said. Tried both DIMMs again and no go, had to do CLEAR CMOS again to get a 2nd welcome saying System or BIOS was just recovering from failure so then Tried older Mboard H170 Mini ITX Wifi and no luck at all even tho I was playing the video game Warframe on it the night before with only 4GB of RAM and in slot 2. now I don't know if both Motherboards are compromised, or something going on with the Dimms when working together, take in consideration a month or 2 ago my significant other got Blue screen saying that ''PC ran into a problem and needs to restart, we're collecting some error info and then you can restart 0%'' but after that day all worked fine without any jumps.

Any clues??

EDIT: Is around 2 years old Memory kit, but I guess I'll have to MEMtest one dimm at a time, I tested it like a month ago and no errors after more than 30 passes and 45mins.

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Check this out if you haven't.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/3wkymy/troubleshooting_5_long_beeps_on_post_gigabyte/

"[–]Cristol365 3 points 1 year ago Hey guys i solved the problem. I bought a brand new gigabyte motherboard with 2 kingston ram sticks at 2400 MHz. I had that issue, 5 long beeps and the the system restarts. It was because the ram modules are listed like 1-3-2-4 and if you dont use your 2 sticks with 1-2 and 3-4 it makes that beeps. Hope it helps. "

Another user had bent pins, so look for that too.

Another user had a bad socket.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Get a USB drive and run MemTest86+: will test your RAM for errors.

Is the kit new or refurbished/used?

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Is around 2 years old kit, but I guess I'll have to test one dimm at a time, I tested it like a month ago and no errors after more than 30 passes and 45mins.

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Try LinX if no errors show up with MemTest. It tests the CPU and RAM, just use HWMonitor so you can see the temps while you do it.

You are sure that no pins are bent from the CPU?

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Deeply appreciated, I just got a Refund approved by Amazon since the fail was within the 30 days timeframe, it seems to be that one of my Dimms was in electric short somehow and I damaged the 2nd motherboard slot, I doubt the CPU is the issue since once the computer boots into windows all works normal and temps are like never before in the 26C to 28C idle, and I play and render and no hiccups or worries around.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube