add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Thermaltake Thermostat internal wiring questions

MikeA57

70 months ago

I'm installing an Asus X79 Deluxe MB in the above mentioned case and I have a couple of questions.

First, I'm not sure about the plug polarity on the HDD led, the front power switch and the reset switch. On the back of the plug is a small triangle molded into it but I don't know if that denotes + or -. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Secondly, the chassis fans have 3 conductor female plugs but the Asus MB has 4 pin connectors. How am I supposed to get those connected? No adapters that will fit were included with the MB or the case.

Thanks for the help on these questions!

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Not just limited to your HDD LED, depending on computer case, black/white would be "-" and red/coloured wires would be "+"
  • No adapters are required. You can plug in the 3 pin fans to the 4 pin connectors on the mobo. See page 1-42, the +5V pin would be left exposed. When correctly inserted, the groove on your 3 pin fan connectors should mate smoothly with the plastic tab on the 4 pin connectors on the mobo. Keep in mind the warning printed on page 1-42 of your mobo manual.
  • 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you Warlock, thank you. I feel like a really big dummy right now. Not by how you said it, but I knew that about the wire colors. I've known that for DECADES!!! I just didn't think to look at the wires themselves. Never entered my mind. I got so fixated on those connectors I just didn't think...

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome. Totally understandable, eventually if at it along enough, everyone overlooks basics at one time or another.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

OK, well I went back "under the hood" last night and looked at the wiring and I wasn't so brain dead after all. All the wires coming from the main control panel on the case are BLACK!!! So I called Thermaltake support and they told me that the connector with the triangle embossed on it is the + side. I suggested that they add that to the menu as it is not to be found in there.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

In this situation, appears that someone at Thermaltake was inebriated. :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube