add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Frame Drop and Stuttering

EbolaChan
  • 24 months ago

I just built this system, https://pcpartpicker.com/user/EbolaChan/saved/xckLD3

When ever I try to record with the geforce app, fortnite and csgo, it drops to like 120 FPS and it stutters a lot.

Does anyone have any suggestions to why it is doing this?

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

That's likely because you only have 4 available threads. Not a lot of headroom for gaming and streaming. A 7700K would be better, while an 8600K/8700K would be more ideal.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not really streaming, just trying to record some csgo. I'd only have discord open aswell, is that too much for the 7600k to handle?

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

So, if I understand correctly, you are (simultaneously):

• Gaming
  • Recording your gameplay
  • Using discord in the background

This could put a decent strain on so few of threads. It's likey the reason you are seeing the lag that you are. How much RAM do you have? Have you checked for the RAM usage through the task manager?

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I have looked through the task manager and it doesn't seem to be using a lot. I only have 8 at the moment and will be getting another 8 soon.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

How about CPU utilization (while playing, recording, and with Discord open)?

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

It's usually at 80-95%. So it could be what you said.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I also am planning on getting a 8600k or 8700k after tax returns.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

RAM is most likely the problem only 8gb and in single channel mode.

How about CPU utilization (while playing, recording, and with Discord open)?

It's usually at 80-95%. So it could be what you said.

Giving everything running that isn't a CPU problem its high usage but not maxing out.

Using Share/Shadowplay has a CPU performance hit but its fairly minor even at higher settings.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/01/08/amd_relive_versus_nvidia_shadowplay_performance/9

Add another 8gb stick and the problem should go away.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Please, read this and do the diagnostics described in the article.

I am not going to get into the guessing game, what might be wrong. I am telling you, that if you do the diagnostics described, you'll see exactly what makes your PC suffer performance.

Pay attention to the

• per logical core CPU performance (Task Manger)
  • GPU performance (GPU-Z)
  • GPU VRAM usage (GPU-Z)
  • storage usage (Task Manager)
  • memory usage (Task Manager)
  • maybe CPU and GPU temperatures (RealTemp) as well.
  • 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Does anyone have any suggestions to why it is doing this?

what are your geforce experience settings at? or they at default?

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

i think so

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

if you dont even know the settings, figure this out first.

Did you want to buy some new hardware only to find out you didnt know how geforce works?

This is ending up as a hardware discussion, and it should be first a software discussion. So your next move is to tell us your geforce settings

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > General Discussion" to "Systems > Troubleshooting".

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I have started using OBS and lowered the bitrate a lot, and it seems to work now, thanks for the help.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube