add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Random PC noises all of a sudden

TacoNinja

24 months ago

So I got home and booted up my system. Had it on for about a minute while checking mail and all of a sudden one of my hard drives spun up really fast and was vibrating, but no click sounds. I'm assuming this is not good. It's a Western Digital Blue 1 terabyte at 7200 RPM. After about 2 minutes it settled back down to normal. However, my PSU started making a clicking sound as of a wire inside was barely caught on the fan, so not to loud, and has just now stopped as I'm typing. PSU I'm not so worried about. But what about the hard drive? It's never done this, I have another one that is exactly alike, however I got one about of them about 2 months ago and the other over a year and a half ago. Is there any software to diagnose? They're both right next to each other, so I could not discern which one was the problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

go to Windows -> Start -> execute "cmd" -> (black window opens) -> and type "chkdsk" (everything without the " ")

wait for results

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I misspoke. The PSU fan is facing downward, and (not to brag lol) my cable management is very good. IT's been months since I last changed my cables, and it is just now making this sound. I was just saying that is what it heard like.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 24 months ago
  • 1 point

There isn't. I'm saying that is the sound it made, but that may not be what happened. It was just a slight ticking sound I heard

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Has your PSU got an 'eco' mode or similar, whereby its fan only spins up under a certain power draw/temp?

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not sure, but all this happened when I was simply browsing through my email

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube