• No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

adrianortega94 3 months ago

My local tech store have the following PSU:

Cooler Master - MasterWatt Lite Full Range 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($43.90). https://pcpartpicker.com/product/x9kwrH/cooler-master-masterwatt-lite-full-range-500w-80-certified-atx-power-supply-mpx-5001-acaaw

EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.70). https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zNK7YJ/evga-power-supply-100b10500kr

Raidmax - Cobra 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($45.90). https://pcpartpicker.com/product/NwNp99/raidmax-power-supply-rx500afb

Thermaltake - Smart 600W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.90). https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6RTrxr/thermaltake-smart-600w-80-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ps-spd-0600npcwus-w

My other components are: CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor. MOBO: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard. Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX Series - 8GB (2x 4GB), DDR4 DRAM, PC4-19200 (2400MHz), C16, 288 Pin, 1.2V. GPU: Asus - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB STRIX Video Card. Case: Rosewill - NAUTILUS ATX Mid Tower Case. Storage: Seagate 1TB BarraCuda - Disco Duro 3.5", 64MB Cache, 7200 rpm, SATA III (6Gb/s).

Comments Sorted by:

OrionFOTL 4 points 3 months ago

If these are the only four ones, take the Cooler Master.

BeerzGod 2 Builds -3 points 3 months ago

That would be a horrible choice.

OrionFOTL 3 points 3 months ago

Why do you think so? Raidmax and Cobra are untested, while EVGA lacks important protections, not to mention the bait-and-switch that EVGA did (the review samples had an MOV on the primary side, then they silently removed it in the retail units).

TheShadowGuy 3 points 3 months ago

the review samples had an MOV on the primary side, then they silently removed it in the retail units

Wow, really? That's obnoxious.

adrianortega94 submitter 1 point 3 months ago

What would you recommend?

[comment deleted]
Warlock 2 points 3 months ago

None of the above.
Seriously, find another "tech store"

TheShadowGuy 1 point 3 months ago

Unfortunately OP doesn't have a lot of choice, apparently due to their location.

Warlock 1 point 3 months ago

Then the OP needs to travel or have a power supply shipped in.

Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite Full Range: Plenty of shortcuts in design so it only meets the 80+ certification. Even ten years old Seasonic S12 series meets at least Bronze certification.
EVGA B series: There has been at least one member here who had it catch fire.
Raidmax: A number of techs such as Jonnyguru likes to use them when they are bored and want to see an explosion/fire.
Thermaltake Smart: Nice one if a user wishes to damage a mobo. No fire, just melting.

TheShadowGuy 2 points 3 months ago

so it only meets the 80+ certification

Efficiency only means efficiency. There are great PSUs and shoddy PSUs at pretty much every level. That said, I wish there was more detailed testing done on the Cooler Master, since according to what I can find ripple and voltage regulation are decent enough, and it claims to include a good suite of protections (like the OTP the 500B lacks).

Thermaltake

They've made a few decent budget units and some bad ones, even within the "Smart" name. For the particular part number on the linked unit I'm not finding much data. :(

Then the OP needs to travel or have a power supply shipped in.

There are legal and financial concerns when it comes to importing something like this. OP may not have the money or the ability to get a PSU through customs.

Warlock 1 point 3 months ago

... Efficiency only means efficiency...

That applies in the majority of the situations but I have yet to hear of a good power supply that only certified at 80+. A large number of the power supply manufacturers are likely hitting the high efficiency not as the original goal but ending up with such results as a byproduct of good/excellent designs when aiming for tight voltage regulation, noise, ripple...
If a power supply manufacturer actually succeeds in inexpensive power supply with excellent regulation but with only 80+ certification, they could easily force out the no-name power supply manufacturers.

Energy efficiency is fine but at the end of the day, businesses prefer/choose paying extra for reliability.

OrionFOTL 3 points 3 months ago

likely hitting the high efficiency not as the original goal but ending up with such results as a byproduct of good/excellent designs when aiming for tight voltage regulation, noise, ripple...

It's the opposite: tighter ripple requires more capacitance on the secondary side, but that increases losses and decreases efficiency. If you wanted a more efficient PSU, you could desolder all the caps... but your ripple would jump to thousands of millivolts.

Have you heard of Corsair VX450, VX550, or designs based on CWT PUC (like old Corsair HX1000)? All were very good, impressive designs that only did 80+ White.

TheShadowGuy 2 points 3 months ago

I have yet to hear of a good power supply that only certified at 80+.

I'm more familiar with decent units at Bronze, but there have been some very good units at that level. While there may be some correlation between efficiency and quality, it is dangerous to assume a PSU claiming to be of higher efficiency is actually higher quality. Getting reviews detailing the power characteristics and build quality is the best method.

There have also been units that claim higher levels than they actually produce, and units that meet a higher level than they claim.

If a power supply manufacturer succeeds... they could easily force out the no-name power supply manufacturers.

I wish I could believe this... But there are too many uninformed buyers, and too many uninformed cost-cutting focused businesses out there.

And either way, none of this helps the OP get a PSU. If there was another option, that would be great- I'd love to see a Corsair TXM or better in there.

TheShadowGuy 1 point 3 months ago

Hmm. According to this database the ripple and voltage regulation on the CoolerMaster is decent. I can't find much more in the way of detailed reviews on it though, so I don't know about the efficacy of its protections or anything. It does claim to have a decent gamut of protections at least.

The EVGA 500B is an older unit. It was reviewed reasonably well as a budget group-regulated unit, but it is missing some modern features and protections like OTP.

From what I've found, I'd lean toward the Cooler Master. I just wish there was more info out there so I could make that recommendation in confidence.

BeerzGod 2 Builds -1 points 3 months ago

EVGA is what I would recommend.

The only good Cooler Master psu's are the V series which are made by Seasonic and I believe Channel Well. Raidmax are complete garbage. Thermaltake is risky in general. They have some okay psu's and they have some bad ones - typically you don't get a good quality Thermaltake until you get one of their high-tier psu's.

adrianortega94 submitter 1 point 3 months ago

Thanks.