add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Startup issues with my Alienware x51 R2

JorisR.
  • 24 months ago

Hello, A few years ago i bought my first PC (an Alienware x51 R2 with Windows 8i know it wasn’t the best choice) and since about one year i had a few issues. When i tried to play League of Legends it wouldn’t run for various reasons, at the end of the last year my desktop settings resetted and some parts of the interface were gone. That’s when i reset my PC exept for the picture and other data (only programms were reset. After the reset everything seemed fine but League of Legends didn’t want to start again and at one point my PC wouldn’t start anymore but after a while it started to permanetly beep until i plugged the PC out. I looked it up on the internet and came to the result that the CMOS (?) battery may be empty but since i don’t know more than how to clean a PC i didn’t do anything for now. My question is, what would be the best thing for me to do, i guess i should probably send it in to let professionals repair it but i don’t really know were to send it to (or wich company would be the best). Also i live in Germany. Another question i have would be, if it doesn’t work and the motherboard is broken. Should i take out most of the parts (GPU, CPU, RAM and so on and put it into a bigger case with better ventilation? Wich Motherboard would be the best for that? The original x51 R2 motherboard is a custom one but the chipset should work with some other Motherboards.

Thank you for reading through my nonsense, i am exited if someone might actually be able to help me and have a nice day.

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Alienware/DELL BIOS beep codes listed at the following: LINK

If under warranty period, contact Alienware.
If warranty has expired, check to see if credit card used for the purchase has extended warranty coverage.
If there is no warranty left at all, take it to your local pc repair shop which has technicians that are certified. Certified techs does not guarantee good service but it lessens the chances of having idiotens working on your system.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thank you i will check if it still has warranty now but i think it doesn’t.

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Good luck.
Like I said, if the Alienware warranty has expired, check your credit card for extended warranty. Some premium credit cards provide one additional year after the manufacturer's warranty expires.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I am quite confident the CMOS battery is not your issue. If that were the problem, the PC would reset the bios when it lost power, but that's it, it wouldn't prevent it from working.

I would try some basic troubleshooting steps:

• try clearing your CMOS (you might want to Google how to do that--- maybe "how to clear Alienware CMOS")

• reseat the ram

• remove the cooler and clean dust off (and clean and reapply thermal paste)

• reseat the gpu

• Try powering it on from motherboard power button (if it has one) or try to jump start it (https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2011-jumping-a-motherboard-without-power-switch-button)

• try clearing CMOS again (this is an easy step that can fix a good amount)

• Paperclip test the PSU (might want to Google that too)

If that doesn't work, and you can't find anything else on Google, a repair shop might not be a terrible idea.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube