add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

please help with activation

dxy5
  • 27 months ago

I have been using an unactivated version of windows with the "activate windows" watermark. I wanted to activate now. However when i go to settings, there is a go to store option and it take you to a page for the pro for 199$, i don't want the pro. There is also an option in the settings for entering a product key. would this page on microsoft be where I buy it https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/windows-10-home/d76qx4bznwk4/1NT3 im confused because it says download, I already have it downloaded? Whats the safest easiest way for me to activate without having to like uninstall the os or something

Comments

• 27 months ago
  • 2 points

When you buy Windows, it will give you a product key. Then you go into the Control Panel, and enter it (I assume you know where).

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

This. Buy the product key through the Microsoft website so it's not OEM, and you can move it to new builds.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

I didn't know you can do that, I thought you had to buy a key for every single device you want windows on.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Only if you delete the original. You can only have one at once, but non-OEM windows is transferable to new motherboards. OEM windows locks on to one motherboard and can never be moved.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

I wonder how I was able to use the key on my cheapo windows laptop to my bootcamp macbook

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Likely not, try it though.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

... Whats the safest easiest way for me to activate without having to like uninstall the os or something

As long as you are purchasing/activating the same version of Windows that you are currently using,
You can purchase it from any authorized store or directly from Microsoft.

Product keys for Windows Professional and Windows Home versions are not interchangeable.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

i am using windows pro, there would be no way for me to buy the cheaper windows home and activate that?

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

If you already have Windows Pro installed, then you have to buy a Windows Pro license. The only way to get a Windows Home key to work is if you have Windows Home installed. You can't mix and match. So if you wish to buy a Windows Home license you can just do a clean install of Windows Home and your all good.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

This ^

OP , you'll have to uninstall Windows 10 Pro and install Windows 10 Home if that's the license you want to pay for. As you're currently running an unlicensed Windows 10 Pro, that's the bill Microsoft is serving you when you try to activate it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube