add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

System Keeps Freezing while playing Games

cryohawk
  • 24 months ago

Can someone please help me!!! Just finished my build about 2 months ago and have been gaming since...only now every time I play Skyrim and battle flame spiders or while playing PUBG my computer freezes and will not close. When I ALT CTRL DEL I cant even get task manager to open...I've installed the newest driver for my 1080Ti but it still freezes the screen...can anyone help me solve this!!! This is really worrying me.

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Is this your build you're talking about?

Could you please check your CPU, GPU, VRMs (for both GPU and CPU) temperatures while gaming, especially when the games freeze?

You mentioned that you can still access the operating system, right? So it's not a total computer freeze, just multiple games do it (Skyrim and PUGB). Your diagnostic tools should be running throughout your gaming session and then you can have a look at the temperatures.

You have overclocked your CPU and GPU as well, right? Also, your build says your RAM runs at 5508 MHz.

I would just remove all the overclocking settings from everything and check if you still encounter this issue.

How often does it happen, anyway?

If turning off the overclocking helps, try overclocking only one component at a time, and make sure, the problem still not comes back. When it does, that component's overclock is the problem.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes that’s it sorry I should have included my build. My temps are normal neither my gpu or cpu go over 48*C while gaming. No I haven’t overclocked anything. My RAM automatically goes to its highest config for some reason. This happens every time I battle something that has a lot movement/action/surprises. Pubg has only happened 1-2times but in Skyrim it will happens without fail every time I battle a jumping flame spider. Also I tried to install the newest drivers last night and then tried running it again and still crashed out it’ll play for a little bit and then once it get to the same spot it freezes up

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I had a problem, where my GPU's VRMs overheated. The GPU chip was all right, but the VRMs were not. It caused the game I played (Diablo III) to crash, but the operating system kept running

Could you please check VRM (Voltage Regulator Modules) temperatures as well? Aida64 can measure GPU VRM temperatures as well. Just to make sure it's not what causes the problem.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

One reason I don't want to try OC; too paranoid something will go wrong.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

During the process of overclocking, thigs will go wrong. That's how you now you reached unstable overclocking settings and you need to change things around to reach a stable state. This is the nature of the process.

When one reached stable overclocking settings s/he is satisfied with, then the computer should work just as fine as before (except now it performs better).

The worst thing that could happen during the overclocking (well, during the stability test) is that your PC crashes. Since during stability test one should only really test the component overclocked (e.g. CPU or GPU) the OS can crash but you don't lose any data as you weren't doing anything, really.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube