add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My computer keeps randomly freezing and sometimes restarting

jonathanmerk
  • 24 months ago

So I have a new PC build ryzen 5 1600, with a msi 9604gb , asrock ab350 pro4 motherboard.

Anyway, Initially i had windows 8.1 on it and everything was fine on that until I installed an update and then the computer wouldn't function with the windows 8.1 (apparently windows below 10 aren't compatible with AMD CPU anymore). So, I upgraded to windows 10. Ever since then the PC has been randomly freezing and sometimes it restarts. Recently when it restarted it did a "installing updates" thing as well. Its mostly freezes when i'm playing games. The way it freezes is that the entire image on my computer freezes and i can't click anything on mouse or keyboard although the computer is still fully on and functioning.

I'm not sure what to do, i've done a few things such as turning off some power option but i'm running out of ideas. Any help?

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

One option: Back up all desired data, then clean install operating system of your choice.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

What BIOS version are you on with the ab350 pro4? Have you updated it out of the box? (And is it definitely the ab350, and not the ab350m?)

Latest version for the ab350 is 4.60, but there's a bridge BIOS (version 3.40) that you need to install first in order to jump to the newer ones. Your board probably shipped with a BIOS version that was earlier than the bridge (i.e. you'd need the bridge version first before updating to the newer ones).

If you have run an update to the latest version without installing the bridge BIOS first, you may need to flash back to an earlier version (3.30), then install 3.40 on top of that, then jump forward to the newest one from there.

Although I'd try it at 3.30 first and see if that's stable; if so, there's no desperate need to install the newest ones just yet.

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey I have the M version, and i'm on the website right now. says the latest version is 4.5 so i'm going to update to 3.4 then to 4.5 like you said just with the m version.

Also the motherboard came by default with 3.00 bios.

Really hope this fixes my problem though, i tried a different GPU and still getting the same problem! Any additional info you can give me?

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok well firstly, DON’T use the link I gave you - that’s for the non-m version you said you had in your original post. :) (Sounds like you already know this, as you’ve correctly noted the most recent ab350m BIOS is 4.50)

This is the ab350m (micro ATX) version BIOS page: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M%20Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

Secondly, post your full parts list here as it’ll help with general troubleshooting ideas.

Only my gut feeling, but not convinced this is necessarily a GPU issue - even more so since you’ve tried another one and no joy. I reckon it’s potentially Windows or motherboard-related since the Win 10 upgrade seemed to bring it on.

My advice - but read below first! - would be to upgrade mobo BIOS to 3.30, and see if you can get that stable before jumping to later versions.

Before any of that though, have you tried:

A) resetting the CMOS on the motherboard as an early troubleshooting step - you may not need to mess with BIOS stuff or Windows reinstalls if that works out. You can find instructions for that on AsRock site too, or in your mobo manual.

A CMOS reset might clear out any mess caused by an OS upgrade, potentially. Failing that...

B) a full clean install of Windows 10, rather than the upgrade that seemed to cause the issue? Not sure quite how it works with the product key you had for Windows 8, but guessing you should be able to use it to activate Windows 10 once you’d got it installed if it’s all legit.

Remember it’s the ab350m version you have, it’s an important distinction whenever you’re looking for downloads and advice on the AsRock site. The micro ATX (‘m’) version is a different motherboard to the larger ab350 (non-‘m’) ATX board and uses a different BIOS.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I haven't reset the CMOS. I'll go into why in a second.

I went ahead and downloaded the latest Bios version of the motherboard which is 4.5 Only time will tell if that fixed the problem, literally just have to be on computer play some games and see if it doesn't freeze/restart.

I didn't do a fresh clean install of Windows 10(atleast i don't think?) but I did do the "Recovery reset this pc" feature on windows 10. Reason i haven't done a fresh Windows 10 install is because I fear my 8.1 key won't be reuseable. The key I have currently was part of the prebuilt computer I bought. I had to manually type in the key when i first bought the prebuilt and I managed to deactivate the key on that computer and reactive it on this new one by calling and using the automated system. If i can't reuse the key then i'm going to have to work out another 100 bucks that i don't have.

So heres my gameplan, my final resort. If this Bios update doesn't fix the problem i'm going to not only reset cmos but do a COMPLETE clean install of Windows 10 as well and pray to the lords that works. If that doesn't work I honestly don't know what i'm going to do.

This problem is so frustrating i genuinely haven't been this stressed in years and I regret building a PC i shoulda just bought a prebuilt off Cyberpower or something. Since the moment I built the PC its really been nothing but problems and i've been stressed about it every single day for 2 weeks and I can't even enjoy being on the computer anymore on top of it....Sigh

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I didn't do a fresh clean install of Windows 10(atleast i don't think?) but I did do the "Recovery reset this pc" feature on windows 10. Reason i haven't done a fresh Windows 10 install is because I fear my 8.1 key won't be reuseable. The key I have currently was part of the prebuilt computer I bought. I had to manually type in the key when i first bought the prebuilt and I managed to deactivate the key on that computer and reactive it on this new one by calling and using the automated system. If i can't reuse the key then i'm going to have to work out another 100 bucks that i don't have.

Yep, that's essentially what'll happen. Your OEM version of 8.1 won't be transferrable to a new build with the same key (and, by extension, neither will the 10 upgrade); that's the limitation of OEM versions that come with prebuilts. If your issues ARE being caused by the OS update, though - and especially if you plan on building any more PCs in future - then buying your own retail version is really the only way to go. That will then be transferrable to future builds; you'll own it outright.

At the very least, in your current predicament, you could still download and install a clean version of Windows 10 from the Microsoft site, and hold back on paying for a full activation key until you've saved up for one. I don't think I'm breaking any rules on here by simply pointing out that Microsoft grants full access to the ISO image required to install Windows 10 from a flash drive without making you pay up front. Certain personalisation options will be unavailable after install until you pay for the full activated version, but it will technically be functional as a clean new OS in the meantime.

So heres my gameplan, my final resort. If this Bios update doesn't fix the problem i'm going to not only reset cmos but do a COMPLETE clean install of Windows 10 as well and pray to the lords that works. If that doesn't work I honestly don't know what i'm going to do.

Yup, good plan - if other steps don't work, then certainly try resetting CMOS. You've updated the OS, probably removed and replaced various hardware components, and fiddled with BIOS stuff...after all that tinkering, a CMOS reset would at least restore you to defaults on the motherboard, and that would help narrow down what's causing the problem if it persists. At that point, you could at least pretty much eliminate anything else you've done since updating the OS as the cause, leaving you with OS issues or hardware issues as the two main potential culprits.

This problem is so frustrating i genuinely haven't been this stressed in years and I regret building a PC i shoulda just bought a prebuilt off Cyberpower or something. Since the moment I built the PC its really been nothing but problems and i've been stressed about it every single day for 2 weeks and I can't even enjoy being on the computer anymore on top of it....Sigh

Don't stress out if you can help it, there's a fix for most things - it's just figuring it out. And at the end of the day, if it turns out to be unfixable because it's a hardware problem, you can ususally return anything that's genuinely faulty. Building your own PC doesn't mean you have to put up with janky goods, any more than if you bought it pre-assembled! It can just be a bit more of a PITA to return and replace individual parts, but it's extremely doable. :)

Once you've figured it out, it'll feel really rewarding. You'll get there. It can take a while and it's a looong learning curve, but very satisfying in the end.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

By the way, further to my other reply - are you downloading and installing any BIOS updates via flash drive? I'm sure the answer is yes, but just in case: ignore the Windows option, especially if your OS is behaving oddly - if it glitches out midway through an update, it can basically brick your board and cause a real headache. Download the BIOS update to your desktop, unzip it, load the relevant unpacked BIOS file onto a correctly formatted flash stick (FAT32 in most cases - https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS8), and upload to motherboard that way. It's more of a hassle but a much more reliable way of doing BIOS stuff.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

So I tried last night for like an hr to reset the CMOS. I used screwdrivers on the two pins, nothing worked and I even took the battery out for a few minutes that didn't work...Went online and on my motherboard reviews theres nothing but negative feedback recently people complaining about freezing/restarts so I'm just going to return the board and buy a new one. This seems like the best option for me right now because I can get a new board in a couple days. I figure its not the power supply, not the gpu,not the m.2 ssd. So its gotta be the mobo and w/e other people like Bios or w/e can be reset by just buying a new mobo.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube