add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do you even need a power supply for a desktop PC?

Jazermano
  • 74 months ago

I know that most desktop PC just plug into an adapter and wall socket. So, does this mean I DON'T need a power supply? From what I can tell, it's a battery and since I want to make a PC (and pretty much only laptops use batteries) I THINK I don't need one. But, if I'm wrong please say so!

Comments

• 74 months ago
  • 2 points

You need a power supply unit (PSU) inside the case to connect the parts to. The PSU will have a plug on the back and a cord so you can plug that into the wall

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh thanks! Also though, why are so many of the power supplies so big? And what attributes are affected by the power supply?

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't speak to the size of PSUs as I've never learned the answer to that question, myself.

As far as what's affected by a power supply, pretty much every component in the tower relies on it. The Power Supply distributes power to each core item in the tower (motherboard, hard drive(s), cd drive(s), graphics card(s), sound card(s), etc). I'm sure someone with more experience could elaborate, but that's the most basic way to put it.

edit: typo

[comment deleted]
  • 74 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Tutorial, HARDWAREsecrets

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Power supply are big because they still follow the old ATX Standard designed a long time ago. Also because Desktop PCs use a lot more power than a Laptop or a Tablet.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-ax760i

This PSU for example is so high-tech it's almost a mini-computer by itself. All the voltage regulation is done by a chip and you can see it work directly on your desktop thanks to a software.

You have to look very carefully to this part because if you get something like Logisys, Diablotek or Coolmax. You could see your PSU become a chinese firecracker after 2 minutes of gaming.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

yup i agree. For psus i recommend silverstone, coarsair, antec, higher end lepa and cooler master.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube