add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Why wasn't my pc booting to bios when the GPU was in?

awaisR

24 months ago

When I connected the pc to the monitor with the gtx 1060 amp edition it wouldn't boot but when I remove the card it did?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CZbD4q

Edit card was brand new but i didn't use it and I kept it in its original case.

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

GPU might be DOA, you might want to test it if possible

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, I'm a beginner can you tell me what DOA is? Also the fans of the gpu were working but there was no signal to monitor so I removed it and it booted. I haven't tried installing it since.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

DOA means dead on arrival.

Things I would check:

• make sure your HDMI/Display port/whatever cable is plugged into the GPU and not the motherboard.
  • make sure the gpu power cables are plugged in (some gpus don't need then, but I think the 1060 6gb does)
  • try putting it in a different PCIe slot
  • make sure the build works on the iGPU (remove the graphics card, and plug your display cable into the motherboard)

If it doesn't work, send it back. If it does work, great- problem solved. Good luck.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your response I'll see what the outcome is and tell you if you want.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Is the wire plugged into the motherboard or graphics card? If it is plugged into the motherboard, it won’t work because the integrated graphics are disabled, and you’ll want it in the graphics card for it to work. If that does not work, it may be DOA like thedukeanator13 said.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I connected the gpu to the six pin connector on the power supply and connected it into the first slot. I'm planning to install the drivers first then put the gpu in hopefully that may work because the fans do spin.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

For a lot of modern GPUs the fans will not start until the GPU reaches a certain temperature.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

My 1050 Ti spins all the time. Not all do.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I read a manual and my 1060 amp edition only spins at certain temperature and above but it was spinning when I booted the pc

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm. I am not sure

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

The fans on my RX 470 don't move unless I am doing something graphically intensive. When I play a game like LOL the fans don't even start for about 20 minutes.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Think the poster above means did you plug the monitor cable into the graphics card and not the motherboard I/O back panel connectors. Although that wouldn't really seem like the issue if your PC isn't booting at all with the graphics card inserted.

Other things worth double-checking:

1) that the graphics card is seated properly in the motherboard slot PCIEX16 (ie. the uppermost long red PCIE slot on your motherboard)

2) you've got the power cable running from the 6-pin connector on the card to the correct input (PCIE) in the power supply (and not to, say, a SATA/peripheral socket)

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean the wire you connect from the gpu to monitor, sorry I didn't say that.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Many things could cause this. Something to try is putting the GPU in a different PCIe slot (not the top one) to see if the motherboard's top PCIe slot is dead.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube