add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build, no Post

WBCraft

24 months ago

So I finally have all the pieces I need for my computer and I begin to assemble. A guide I was watching suggested I try to see if it will post before trying to install the motherboard in the case and get bad news then. After connecting the power supply, I get no CPU led light at all. At first I looked at some forums which suggest removing the battery, waiting a bit and trying again, that didn’t work. I then made sure the power supply wasn’t the issue by pushing in pins 16 and 17 with a paper clip, the fan was turning so I don’t think the PSU is it either. So now I’m thinking I either have a bad CPU or motherboard. Anybody ever had a similar issue with a configuration similar to mine or with the same motherboard? I’ve already ordered an Asus RoG hero which should be here in 2 days to test if the motherboard was DOA. The list here is my target goal, there’s no m2 drive or gtx1080ti on the motherboard, although I don’t think that makes a difference here.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor Purchased For $0.00
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler Purchased For $0.00
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard Purchased For $0.00
Storage Plextor - M8Pe 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $273.00 @ Newegg
Video Card Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card $1499.89 @ OutletPC
Case be quiet! - Dark Base 700 ATX Mid Tower Case $169.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2012.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-17 18:35 EST-0500

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I tried again. Pins shouldn’t be bent since I grabbed from the side carefully and never took the CPU out the box until I installed it. Checked the alignment to make sure it was installed correctly. I think the board is just dead, or the cpu is dead. Is there any other way to check to see if the power supply is working properly, cause no light comes on at all when i turn on the psu

[comment deleted]
  • 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I double checked the cables, did the paper clip test on the psu and no luck. I’m assuming it’s not the PSU since I got the fan to turn with the paper clip test, and it’s all new. Imma try with another motherboard once it gets here Monday.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I didn’t check the cpu, although I’m sure I put it in correctly, might give it a shot tomorrow

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube