add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Data Recovery Service Recs

Chiclet413
  • 24 months ago

I have a 3TB hard drive that has failed. It's pretty old and has just gotten slower and slower over time until finally it quit working. I have a feeling it's a physical hardware issue. I really don't know though. Anyway, what do I need to look for in a data recovery company? I can't afford DriveSavers. Wish I could!!!! I've heard horror stories of companies doing a "free estimate" and then basically holding your HD hostage. Plus, how do you know if you're getting ripped off? Kinda like the mechanic that is changing your oil and finds 6 more "problems" you need to pay him for. (That's just a funny example, my dad is a mechanic so of course I got nothing but love for them!) I've also heard you should go with a local company instead of shipping it off somewhere. Apparently there are lots of companies that claim to know what they're doing but really don't. I'm in Memphis, TN if anybody happens to know of a good company here. Last question, which takes more expertise? Fixing a hardware issue inside the HD or finding lost files? The thing finally crashed but I was having trouble finding a bunch of files as well before that happened.

Comments

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I know there's HDD and SSD. I wasn't being technical I was just abbreviating hard drive.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube