add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Computer Keeps Randomly shutting down

Kenjionigod

24 months ago

Alright, I recently ungraded my core platform. I went from an FX 8300 and an ASRock 970m Pro 3 to a R5 1500X and the Aurous X370 K7. My GPU and PSU are the same in both cases, an 4GB Powercolor R9 380 and a Corsair CX600M. I have not done any overclocking on the CPU or GPU what so ever.

I ran a stress test on my CPU to see if it was maybe shutting off because of heat, and it was only about 63C under a load test after 20 minutes. I did the same with my GPU and it hovered about 76ish after around the same time. I don't assume it's a power issue, as my old 8300 was overclocked and surely had to be drawing more power. I don't get a blue screen or anything like that, my PC just suddenly shuts off.

Thefans stop spinning, but the white LED along my power button stays lit along with the power LED on my motherboard. I have no idea what could be causing it at this point.

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you do a new/clean install of Windows?

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

No, I didn't. I'm working in that now though.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

So, you changed crucial parts like MOBO / CPU / RAM, but crammed in the old storage device with Windows and all the drivers for the previous setup. That might be a problem.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I did a clean install of Windows and I still have the same issue.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Real shutdowns? but no error message? so, it is not like the power is suddenly missing, but the PC basically goes "Start->Shutdown->Yes" ?

Try finding the event-log.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah. No blue screen, no warning just a sudden shutdown. I'll try combing the event log for anything when I get off. I bought some RAM just to make sure it's not bad RAM. I'll have to wait until I get home from work to try see if I can find anything.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, I'd say it's more akin to the power button being held down rather than a proper shutdown. Just a sudden lost of power, but the motherboard power LED and the LED around the power button to n my case are the only things that stay lit.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube