add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Updating Bios without post? Is it possible?

crazycucumbers

24 months ago

So I thought my mobo came dead, but after some searching and frustration, I discovered that the motherboard I have isn't compatible with my CPU out of the box. The only way to fix it is to update the bios. However, that's not really possible when the computer won't even post. Calling tech support, they said that I could send it into RMA (that'll take a month, I don't have time for that) take it to a local computer shop and have them do it, or get a new motherboard or processor. I'm pretty broke and can't afford a more expensive motherboard or to buy a new CPU. I don't know anyone who I could borrow it from either. The only local computer shop is strictly Intel and scoffed and got nasty when I said I was an AMD kind of guy. The only other local tech shop is Best Buy but I don't trust them to do anything and I doubt they could do it anyways. Is there anything I can do to update my bios without having to get a new CPU? Or will I have to wait until I can afford a second CPU to update my bios?

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

You could contact AMD and ask them if they have some sort of loaner program for FM2+ CPU's like they are currently doing with Ryzen. Doubtful, but couldn't hurt to try.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

That's actually not a bad idea, I somehow didn't think of that. I'll be sure to give it a try, thank you!

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

The people at that local computer shop sound like total ********... I can't imagine a place that would turn down customers just because they're using a product they don't prefer.

Unfortunately, you are going to need a different processor to POST the motherboard and update the bios...

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I know, I'm not going back there again. It was also more overpriced than I've ever seen, it wasn't worth my money. And I know. It's definitely a bit of a conundrum.

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Best Buy is your best option.

Unfortunately, they ship it to Nashville, Tennessee. They likely don't have any FM2 CPUs on hand at Best Buy.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Last I went, their computer parts section was practically non existent. They had 16 gigs of RAM for $220 and some graphics card for a ridiculous amount of money. Can't wait for this whole cryptomining thing to totally blow over so prices are more reasonable again. Anyway, thank you for the input! I'll definitely give it a try if contacting AMD doesn't work.

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

My Best Buy has no GPUs at all.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Mine had I think a GTX 1060 but there was only one

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube