add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1050ti GPU runs for 5 seconds then stops, no signal?

saldychips
  • 24 months ago

So I made a post a bit back about trading a nintendo switch for an old computer build. Here are the specs

Full ATC build, quad core i7 960 3.4 ghz, two hard drives, one 256GB SSD, 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD, Radeon r9 270, 8gb of ddr3 ram, 1600 mhz, Zalmann CPS cooler.

The guy said the GPU was broken so I replaced it with a GABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 Ti DirectX 12 GV-N105TOC-4GD 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX.

Now this gets it's power from the motherboard it said, so no power supply needed. But after it getting it in the motherboard, connecting HDMI to my TV through the GPU, it just spins for a few seconds then stops. And I get no signal. I thought maybe it was just the cord. So I tried a DVI to HDMI cord. Same thing. I didn't bother with VGA. So currently, I'm about $550 down on both the Nintendo switch and GPU. Realizing I might've just screwed myself over. If anyone can just confirm if I did or not that'd be great. I'm not looking for some really good gaming computer. Just something to get the job done and maybe run some old ps2/n64/gamecube emulators. Hoping I didn't just mess up horribly, but if that's the case, then I live and learn. Thank you.

EDIT: I've also tried it on 3 different monitors, all the same result. Also the GPU was bought brand new.

UPDATE 1: Removed and cleaned of RAM. After reinserting, seemed to show signal. Now I face another problem. No hard disk detected. I believe this is a simple fix. Gonna try using an hard disk from my windows 8 laptop that I no longer use and see if I can get some life.

UPDATE FINAL: Wasn't the HDD just the SATA drivers. Switched and got it running. Been a hell of a month. Resetting the PC and should be running smoothly. Thanks everyone for the help.

FIN: Reset went fine. Shut down the PC and rebooted it and working like a beauty. Not sure if theres a "SOLVED" tab to put this as but SOLVED.

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Damn man sorry to hear about that. Just because the fan doesn't spin doesn't mean the gpu is f'ed. Some newer gpu's don't spin at idle.

You need to start doing some trouble shooting mate.

I hate sending you somewhere else but Linus back in the day made a great video for trouble shooting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKhCQmKAmEM

As did PC part picker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP6pAPctqbk

Check out those videos and report back.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply brother! I'm gonna try them out and report back after work.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey got it working! But no hard drive is detected, but it shows up in BIOS. I've tried 2 different HDDs but still same result. Going to try purchasing a new SATA cables and seeing if I can get something working. Thanks for the video!

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Is this the same symptoms you had before you got the new card?

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Sadly no. The other GPU(broken) spins. Just doesn't get signal from it.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello!!! I got a signal! I took out the ram and cleaned it off a bit. Put it back in and now I have "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" Not sure how to boot into BIOS on this through keyboard, but so far so good!

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Usually you just spam the delete key on startup to get to BIOS on most boards.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah haha. I managed to get BIOS loaded. But get "hard drive not detected" but it's showing up in BIOS... Not sure if it's something to do with the SATA cables or what's going on.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube