add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can't shut down pc using case power button

bryanxyz

24 months ago

I successfully built my first pc over the weekend! Easy AF. Everything is working great except for one little issue. I can't turn off the computer using the case power button. However, I can use the button to turn on the computer (thank god).

It worked until I messed with the bios settings. All I did was change the SATA from hard drive to solid state. I also went into the "oc tweeker" after I noticed I wasn't getting the advertised memory speed for my two corsair 3000 DDR4 ram. I clicked on the ram speed drop down and changed the speed from 2133 to 3000. I then saved and restarted back into bios.

It was at this point I discovered I couldn't turn off my computer with the power button.

This isn't a huge problem because I can still turn off the computer using windows or if worse comes to worse flip the psu switch. I'm more curious to know why this happened. I probably shouldn't I played in the bios if I didn't know what I was doing, but I figured "Hey, whats the worse that could go wrong?". I'm less excited to play in the bios now.

Two questions:

What do you think is causing this? How do I fix this?

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Return to the BIOS and look for Power settings (can't recall the section title at the moment) There will be options related to things like "In the Event of Power Failure", "After pressing Power button 3 seconds", etc. My guess is there some option for the Power and/or Reset button you might have changed last time you were in the BIOS

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool. I'll give that shot tonight.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube