add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help, I'm a n00b

Epicprototype
  • 27 months ago

Ok, these may sound like a really stupid questions but just remember I'm new to this. Can a PC run without an operating system? I'm going to build a PC but I don't know exactly how you would get an operating system on it without it running. Also, how exactly does buying an OS work? I see that this website points you to physical copies of Windows but how would I Install them? If it's by disk then that's a waste because my computer won't have a disk reader. Do I even have to buy an OS right now or will a systemless computer be able to somehow access the Internet and download one from there? If someone could please give me a crash course in Operating Systems it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 27 months ago
  • 3 points
  1. A PC can boot into BIOS without an OS, but you won't be able to use it for much.
  2. You buy a code which you type in when installing windows.
  3. You download windows onto a USB, then boot from to USB to install it.
  • 27 months ago
  • 2 points

Try a live Linux distribution (see https://distrowatch.com/) or two and when you find one you like, just click "install."

• 27 months ago
  • 2 points

Only buy windows through Microsoft

If you don’t, you risk getting a non legit copy

If you plan on using Windows you might as well pay for it since it runs your PC

• 27 months ago
  • 2 points

There's no such thing as stupid questions, only stupid answers... we were all noobs once!

Yes a PC can run without an OS, basic things can be done from a command prompt/dos but you will not achieve much. Alternatively, some motherboards include features that permit you to browse the Internet without even a HDD in your system or even booting Windows. Take ASUS Express Gate a technology developed by ASUS and introduced with their P5E3 series that utilizes Splashtop, which is a Linux environment that is integrated into the motherboard. With this technology, users can turn on their computer and within five seconds have access to the Internet using Firefox, online e-mail, Skype, and the Splashtop desktop.

If you have a legit CD-Key from the COA sticker on your device you can go to the MS website and download an ISO, then either burn the ISO to disc or copy it to a USB flash drive with a bootloader and install from USB.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube