add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Where to place these darn cables?

Infininj4

23 months ago

Hey PCPP peeps, I need some help. Recently I pulled the trigger on my very first build, and the parts relevant here are listed

• Power Supply: EVGA G3 550W PSU

• Mobo: Asus ROG Strix B350-F

• CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x52 240mm AIO cooler

• PSU: EVGA G3 550W Gold+

I've been religiously following the manual, plugging things in as I go. But this is where I'm stumped; my mobo has a 4pin and it says "CHA_FAN1" which I believe means the chassis's fan. It has two other ones labeled CHA_FAN2 and CHA_FAN3. I only have two fans that came with the case, and so that would mean that I have one extra, right? Now, when I go to plug in the two 120mm fans for the AIO that attach to the radiator in the front, I have one fan place left. I looked through the mobo, and I see that there is a place to put the CPU_FAN, and CPU_OPT. Is that where I put my two AIO fan connectors?

Another small issue, if you don't mind: The PSU's SATA cables have 3 connectors each on them, as shown here. For the front, where I put my SSD and Hue+, I can use two, and leave the other one there. In the back, I only have one HDD, and if you put a SATA cable in there, the other ones stick out and is a pain? Any advice or way to take the extra connectors off?

Thanks a lot guys

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah man thats correct, some motherboards wont allow the pc to power on if there is no cpu fan plugged into the cpu fan header. not sure about the sata power cables

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, makes sense. Thanks.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

My pc wouldn't boot up when I built it because I had the cpu cooler plugged into the the port under the cpu fan header.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

For my SATA cables the ones I wasn't using I wire tied to each other so they were as one, then used a spare cable straps to attach them to the chassis. I really don't have a big issue with them as my case hides all (most) of the cabling in a side pannel with a wall and little slits with rubber finned cuttouts for the wires to pass through.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a bunch, I never knew you could use those slits to wrap straps around the cables, makes cable management really easier.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

We might be thinking of different slits, but whatever is working for you. Good luck :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube