add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I buy/install Windows 10 weeks/months after a PC build?

wpmc
  • 27 months ago

Hi,

Say for example I use Linux initially on a budget gaming PC. Would it be possible after a few weeks or months to switch the OS to Windows 10? I might test Linux out and be happy with it and not even go with Windows 10. But if I did want to, would it be an option? Would it be a simple exercise or tricky?

Thanks.

Comments

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

You certainly can. The only trick is moving data over; one of the easiest methods for this in my opinion would be moving any data you want to save (minus installed programs, which you will want to reinstall) to an external drive, then installing Windows 10 as if you were putting it on a brand new computer. This will delete everything on the drive and give you a clean install, which you can then install Windows versions of your programs and move your data to.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, it is perfectly possible. I would recommend installing Linux on a separate partition or drive from your user data(/home in Linux, users in windows). If you are getting an ssd+hdd combo, then install Linux onto the SSD with a separate /home partition on the HDD(make sure to format the HDD partition NTFS or something that windows can read). Then if you want to move to a window you wipe the SSD and install Windows on it like normal. Also, a backup(could be copy/paste works fine for user data) to an external HDD, or to an online backup service is a very good idea before you make changes to drive and partitions.

It is also possible to dual boot, where you have both Linux and Windows the computer at the same time. This requires a bit more work and know how to get everything set up in a manner that does not break OS installs/lose data.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube