add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New build, reusing HD and ssd

Caity
  • 24 months ago

I've put together my first build, reusing a HD and relatively new ssd (2 months) from my previous machine. My new machine has a gigabyte ax370 gaming 5 mobo, the bios version is from the date 2017/09. When I boot the machine everything spins, lights up and all, but in the uefi my drives won't show. They appear to be connected properly to the psu (evga 750 GQ) and to the mobo in sata 3 port 0 and 2. There is no m2 drive installed and the only installed pci slot is 16. This is my part list

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor $206.10 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - MasterLiquid 120 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $69.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-AX370-GAMING 5 ATX AM4 Motherboard $169.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $199.99 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $147.45 @ Amazon
Storage Toshiba - P300 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.46 @ Amazon
Video Card Sapphire - Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card -
Case Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case $76.34 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £79.99
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $92.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1007.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-06 16:30 EST-0500

I can plug in a USB to boot windows from to install but because the system can't find the drives I have no where to install Windows to

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Try connecting only the drive you want to install Windows on. Then see if you can see the drive in the boot menu first. If you can you're set, otherwise try changing some settings in the BIOS/UEFI.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Had similar issues with my builds, always end up reusing HDDs/SSDs.

With SSDs, the drive would sometimes kill itself, causing issues with booting up or showing up in the BIOS. It sorted itself out eventually with some fidgeting such as removing it, putting it back in, powering up the computer etc... no idea as to why that happens but it looks to be a problem within SSDs and not hard drives.

Hard drive was, when I couldn't get it to show it would either be a BIOS issue or the drive just needed partitioning, plugged it into an external connector and used it on my laptop only to realise that the hard drive would show up on diskpart, but not in "My Computer" or any other program. I had to clean it, removing all the partitions, make it fresh to get it to show up. However, since this is your first build after all, I'd just recommend checking your connections; experimenting with all the sata connections on the motherboard or trying to use one by itself.

This is tech after all, so there could just be a chance that you received a broken part, could be any of the following: Bad SATA cables Motherboard ports faulty PSU cables faulty Storage devices dead

Of course the chances of these are really low, but it's better to eliminate every possible cause to find the answer!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube