add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Build starts up for less than a second

sebshot92

23 months ago

Hey guys, so I'm having an issue with my current build at start up. When I plug it in, the GPU's (GTX 1070) LED lights up and remains lit, while the motherboard's (Z370) CMOS button/LED lights up for a second and turns off. When I try to turn it on, the power indicator on the case flashes and the fans (the case's 200 mm and 120 mm fans, those in the GTX 1070, and Noctua NH-U9S) start up for a second and the Z370's CMOS indicator stays lit afterwards. The GPU also lights up red, but again, briefly. I have quadruple checked the JFP1 set up (with a MSI youtube video) and I've made sure everything is connected properly, but I'm wondering if there is a short at start up that's preventing the computer from working, or if its an issue with the power supply.

Any help is appreciated.

Here is the link to my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9DWxr6

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

To start, I'd remove the GPU and see if that effects the system from starting up. Typically when issues like this occur you can trace them back to the PSU being at fault. That said, if you have a spare PSU to verify the rest of the system works I would go that route. If it still doesn't work, I would build the system outside of the case (IE: on top of the MB box or something along those lines) to rule out anything being grounded.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried the starting without the GPU, but nothing changed. I'll look into getting a new PSU tomorrow.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Update: I installed a new PSU (Corsair CX 750) and the computer has the same problems. I checked the motherboard and CPU for any physical problems, but they seem to be good.

I'm on somewhat of a time crunch, so if there are any other suggestions, I'm open to them.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Check the 24 pin motherboard power. And the 8 pin EPS CPU power.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Re seat your CPU, make certain you don't have any bent pins, and then start moving on to your memory if this doesn't fix it. Swap and change parts slowly, add the GPUs after if everything works, if removing them didn't do anything then it's not likely to be the GPUs. Clear the CMOS when you re seat the CPU, most of the time it's the CPU or motherboard that causes the issue, and if it persists consider RMAing both unless you have a second board/CPU laying around that you can test with.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

For anything related to your MOBO, go with the manual that came with it. It will also list proper placement of your GPU and RAM sticks, as well as fan headers.

[comment deleted]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Clearing the CMOS fried my last MOBO. Very hesitant to ever try that again. And by that, I mean just taking out the CMOS battery and putting it back in.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube