add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Changing motherboard and CPU Ryzen to Intel (Help)

R_halleman
  • 24 months ago

Hi Everyone,

I am swapping out my Ryzen 5 1600 to an intel i5 8600k (not looking for advice on one vs the other). Looking for advice on how the install and post install will go. I will do some updating of the BIOS first. I have a laptop should I need any drivers. I have windows 10 on a 250gb ssd (boot drive) and a 1TB hard drive that contains pretty much everything else. When I swap out the motherboard I would assume I would just want to plug in the SSD but will need a fresh install of windows. Is this correct? Will I need the windows ISO on a flash drive? Or will it boot from my SSD? Is there anything else I will need to watch out for? Anything I should be aware of? Or will I just move through the setup as if it was new but have everything installed on my hard drive? Also I have office and photoshop on my current PC will it cause major issues moving to a new motherboard? I built my first compute and did the full install myself just checking on how this process will go.

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

You will (should*) not need a fresh install of Windows when you swap the motherboard. However, Windows keys (in recent years) have been tied to the motherboard, so switching it will likely ask you for your (for a) Windows key. However, so long as you are signed into the same Microsoft account as on your old pc, you can click an option that says something along the lines of "I recently did a hardware upgrade on this computer" and it should be activated from there (if you have your account tied to more than one pc, it may ask you to select which pc you upgraded).

Just to clarify though, I am a little confused as to which device of yours is being upgraded:

• "I have a laptop should I need any drivers."
  • "I am swapping out my Ryzen 5 1600 to an intel i5 8600k"
  • "I built my first compute and did the full install myself just checking on how this process will go."

So the part that is confusing me, you are upgrading you laptop? The reasons that confuses me:

• Last time I checked, the Ryzen 5 1600 is not a mobile processor (it wouldn't really be a laptop)
  • That being said, if it's a laptop, good luck sticking an 8600k in it. An 8600k has a very high TDP, laptop cpus have very low TDPs. (8600k has a TDP of 95 watts, most mobile cpus have TDP of 15-35 watts {to my knowledge-- give or take})
  • You can't just simply buy a new motherboard for a laptop unless it is meant to fit in that laptop. They are usually (almost always) proprietary motherboards (designed around the laptop, or with the laptop designed around them). And even at that, changing them would be a rather difficult task
  • You said you built the computer yourself, which leads me to believe it's not a laptop? (Generally** people don't build their own computers, building one's own laptop though, that's a whole different ballpark.

I don't know, maybe I am misunderstanding something because it is very late (or technically, very early) here. Anyway, hope my first chunk of advice helped, and if you want, feel free to reply to the part that I probably misunderstood (the part that confused me) and I'll try to help you further :)

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Its a desktop. the laptop is separate in case I need any drivers. I figured I'd need a new windows key. Any ideas what happens to everything on my hard drives? Will they just transfer over to the "new" build?

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

As long as you plug in the new hard drives I don't see why not. You won't necessarily need a new windows key, you will simply need to reactivate your old one. But yeah other than that you sound pretty much good to go. I have the 8600k as well, I am sure you'll love it as much as I do <3. Good luck :)

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I hope so. Was between the i7 8700k and i5 8600k $ for $ the i5 seems the clear winner.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

As long as you bought a non OEM Win10 key you should be fine, just make sure to uninstall drivers first

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Even with the OEM you can now swap between hardware.

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

^ +1 to what Esamenoi said

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

:) I only know this as I'm on my third mobo!!

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Uninstall drivers? Prior to the change, correct? How is his done?

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, just launch device manager and click on what you want to uninstall then go to drivers uninstall

https://www.pcworld.com/article/246041/how_to_uninstall_drivers_in_windows.html

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Just curious: why you swap?

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

For gaming and live streaming. I’ve noticed a lot of drop off when I stream via capture card or just window cap steaming pc games. Ryzen doesn’t seem optimized. Elgato hd60 pro didn’t work well with Ryzen. Averamedia works ok but it was a challenge getting it set up. Don’t get me wrong for day to day work and gaming on less intensive games the Ryzen build has been amazing. Even with an over clock on the CPU and GPU (gtx 1060) others I play with who are using older intel builds with older GPUs are out performing me.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube