add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Very laggy new system.

NoGoodNamesLeft
  • 23 months ago

Hey, I just finished building my system and installing Ubuntu. The specs are: -r3 1300x -msi b350 PC mate -msi itx GTX 1060 3gb -1x8gb 2400mhz ram -250gb HDD (to be upgraded) -Razer lancehead TE

The PC is just very laggy in general. I've updated the os too. The cursor moves with lag, the animations are sluggish, and overall the system runs poorly. Any advice on how to fix this? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

What is the speed of your HDD? And, what are you system and CPU temps?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

My HDD is 7200rpm and I'm not with the PC at the moment so I can't tell you that. Thanks for the help, I'll have to check that later.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

it could be the HDD. I have a 320 gig hard drive I took apart form an old prebuilt a while back. The specs of it were sata 3, 16 megs of cache, 320 gig capacity, 7200, and at a 3.5 size. That thing was very slow.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

The thing is, when I installed Ubuntu, I had a grub installation failure (grub is what enables booting). So I just troubleshooted for a bit, and the performance was good. Then, I decided to reinstall but this time wipe the disk (of prebuilt window s 7 installation) And install Ubuntu again. Everything installed, and I was happy. The prompt to restart the computer pops up, so I do, and then, it gets slow. So I don't know if it's the HDD speed. To be confirmed.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah unfortunately I know very little about Linux and can't offer up much advice there; only thing I can suggest from this point is the aforementioned CPU and system temp checks and make sure the RAM is running at the right speed in the BIOS.

Although if you are able to “Live” run a copy of Linux, is it lagging then as well, or only when running the installed copy?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

How do you run a live copy? Not too experienced in pc software you see.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a 1tb 5400rpm drive in my laptop, at the beginning of owning it it was pretty slow, but since windows 10 creators update that seemed to have ironed out the issues, and it works fine now.

If its not the HDD, I suspect a software issue.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok’ i will be getting an ssd sometime in the not too distant future so let’s hope that works. I will be checking the bios in the meanwhile for irregularities though.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh an SSD is a good idea, I recommend that. When you do migrate windows from the HDD to that SSD, it will make your PC a lot snappier.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube