add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Suspected Motherboard DOA No POST. Lights+fans work, CPU LED on. Have followed “PERFORM THESE STEPS before posting about POST”

kvothe666
  • 23 months ago

I purchased the following components to upgrade my desktop:

Intel i5 8400

Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000 LPX

However when I put them together it will not POST. All of the fans and lights come on (as does the CPU debug LED) for a few seconds, cuts out (turns off). This then repeats for a second time and then does not come back on. There are no beeps from the internal speaker at all and it cannot be turned off using the power switch (or headers) only but switching off the PSU.

I have tried breadboarding the setup with only the components above (with only one RAM module) plus the internal speaker and the results are exactly the same.

I have also tried with no RAM installed and still exactly the same (no beep codes, cpu led on and the two time loop described above)

I have gone through steps 1-23 on the “PERFORM THESE STEPS before posting about POST/boot/no video problems!” guide several times to no avail (NOT INCLUDING the section beginning “If you suspect the PSU is causing your problems...”). I have ruled out a PSU issue as it successfully POSTs with my old CPU, motherboard and RAM (and GPU).

This is not my first build and I have never had issues like this before (only ones that were solved with much less troubleshooting than this!).

From this the problem must lie with either the CPU or motherboard, with the motherboard being the most likely culprit (I believe?).

Video of POST attempt.

System build.

So RMA the MB; unless anyone can think of something I haven’t?

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

If I'm looking at the video correctly I don't see the CPU power cable connected? Also the malfunction presented looks similar to the problem I had with my first build when I accidentally plugged the CPU power cable in the wrong orientation.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

The CPU power cable is the one going off/coming from the left hand side of the video. It is connected using a 4+4 connector (no adapters), as well as the 24-pin motherboard power cable at the top of the shot.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

As for orientation, the two ‘parts’ of the clip are together in the middle and not at each side. Over all orientation wise, it can only go in one way due to the non-symmetrical design.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh got it, I see it now; don't know what I thought I was looking at before! And my CPU power connector was a 4pin, so that's how I managed to plug it in the wrong way. Did you figure out what was wrong with your build yet?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I ended up sending it off to the supplier to investigate and it turned out to be ~4 bent pins. I couldn’t see anything when I looked at it (although I had no magnifier and iPhone cameras are garbage at that range), but they sent me pics from a dslr where you can (just about) see them. It’s now with gigabyte and from what I’ve read worst case it they will solder a new socket for a fee, but at least this is only about 1/3 of the price for a new board (if forum posts are to be believed! :p). So just got to play the waiting game to see what they come back with, which does not play into my impatience! I know bent pins normally means you’re screwed, but what I’ve read gives me some hope, although it would be very annoying if I end up waiting for ages just to get it back in the same state when I may as well have given fixing the pins a go myself to begin with!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube