add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Trouble Installing Windows

GivenTheOkieDoke

23 months ago

So I put together my pc last night then went over to best buy and grabbed a Windows 10 USB. I turn everything on and go into the BIOS and the only thing I touched was Boot Priority. I set my SSD to priority. I restart push F12 during start up which on my motherboard does the one time "Boot From ... First" and select the Windows USB. Once I do that a menu pops up saying to select Windows 64 bit or Windows 32 bit. I proceed to select 64 bit. Then a long bar which says "Loading Files" in grey shows up on the bottom of the screen and proceeds to load something. After that is done nothing happens. There are two boot options selectable with in the BIOS one which says Windows Microsoft or something and one which says the exact same thing but before it it says UEFI: Windows Microsoft Partition 1. I have tried booting from both and they both get me to the Windows 64 bit or 32 screen and then to the grey loading files bar. One screen then proceeds to a black blank screen and one to a screen that is just frozen on a screen which has a Gigabyte logo on the left and "Ultra Durable" on the right. From either screen nothing happens. I tried unplugging my SSD, HDD, leaving one in, one out, having both unplugged and only the USB stick. Can not seem to figure this out. I think it may be the Microsoft USB stick but maybe I connected something wrong. Could it reconize the USB and not work still or since it actually sees it the USB is not the problem? For referance my setup is this.

Motherboard : Gigabyte Z270 MX Gaming 5 MATX

GPU : MSI Gaming 1080

CPU : i7 7700K

Any help would be appreciated. I am currentally at work so I dont have exact details or access to the PC right now but will be able to give more information if needed when I get home.

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I haven't yet tried installing Windows from a Microsoft USB device, so I'm not quite sure how differently it works from creating your own bootable USB drive from Microsoft at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. However, I do believe you are able to create your own USB device using the site, then use the activation code that came with your purchased device during installation. If you have a separate USB 2 device and plug it in to one of your motherboard's USB 2, not USB 3, ports, perhaps this is something you could try, first to see if it is a problem with the purchased device and/or your system's ability to boot from it?

Also if this doesn't work, my next suggested step would be to try resetting the BIOS or clearing CMOS and starting from scratch, just to see if that makes a difference.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

It's the same thing as creating your own bootable.

Suggestions are good, though I would try it in this order, from quickest to most time-consuming:

1. Try a different USB port
  2. Clear the CMOS
  3. Make sure you're on UEFI
  4. Try legacy mode as last ditch attempt
  5. Test USB on a different computer if possible
  6. Your USB is messed up, make a new one (and don't forget to switch back to UEFI)
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah this was my next option. I just find it weird that when I connect it into either a USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 slot it reads the drive but from their it does nothing. Could this be a hardware issue?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I got it to work now. I am unsure if it is in Legacy or UEFI I was in such a rush forgot to check but all is good now. It's crazy that Windows charges you a ton for there codes and cant even include a working USB. Apparently this is a know issue when buying there USB version. I guess when you are the big kid on the block you can do as you please.

Thanks timless and night. Next step better monitor then I am fully back into PC gaming.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube