add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GPU fan doesn't spin, no display

JHow92

23 months ago

So I built my first PC yesterday and everything is in. But when I plug it up to a monitor, it's not showing anything. Also the GPU fan is not spinning. Should I be worried that my GPU is already fried or something is not plugged in right?

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

I wanna thank everyone for the help. I've got it up and running (for now). I'll definitely ask you guys again of I ever run into anymore problems.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

GPU fan not spinning is normal. Make sure the GPU is plugged in though.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I got it plugged up with the cord that came with the box but there's one extra 4-hole cord that is attached on the cords coming from the PSU. So I'm not sure if that needs to be plugged somewhere or if it's just an extra cord

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

It should be extra then. Check the CPU power and Motherboard power.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok I'll check it later. I've got work

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Post your part list and if possible pictures of how you have everything connected.

Could be quick make sure its actually plugged into the GPU and not the motherboard I/O.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Asrock ab350m Radeon xfx rx 560 4gb Ryzen 3 1200 G skill 8gb (2 4gb) 1tb wd hdd Isignia 450w PSU

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not sure how to add pictures

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

The extra one you are holding is extra. In the corner there will be a rectangle with 8 holes. Make sure that is plugged in, as well as the big long 24 pin connector. Also make sure the power button is wired up right.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

What do I plug into that?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

So your Power to your GPU looks like its from a molex adapter? am i looking at it right?

You should just have 1 cable labled PCIE to plug into your GPU for power

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I just used the cord that came with the box. The cords in holding in the picture is coming from the PSU

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I can check later. So I didn't need the cord that came in the box with my GPU?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

The cord should come with your psu. If you on't have one, I recommend buying one.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

To everyone responding to my forum. Thank you. The reason I'm not responding is because I'm at work. I will try everything when I get home. Thanks

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

So basically what I'm getting is that the part that came in the box with the GPU is an adapter and I don't need it. But use the cord that looks exactly the same coming from the PSU? Am I right?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I took some more pictures with the advice you all gave me. Does this look right? https://imgur.com/a/1wa54

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes. So what is happening when you hit the power button? Any beep codes?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Now it's restarting over and over

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

No beeping at all? Try plugging a speaker in to check for beep codes.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok but I should also mention it only restarts like that when I plug the 8-pin cord in

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

You must have the 8 pin cord in. It powers the CPU.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Apologies if this first check is obvious:

The video cable that runs from the back of your PC to the monitor (probably HDMI, but possibly DSUB or DP, depending what you're using) - is that definitely plugged into a GRAPHICS CARD video out port, and not the motherboard I/O ports? You need it in the graphics card, othewise you're bypassing your graphics card altogether, and you'll get no display at all on the monitor because there's no on-board video with Ryzen 1200.

Next, re: the multiple restarts - does it literally do it indefinitely? How long have you waited to see if it eventually POSTs? It's not totally unusual for a new build PC to restart itself 5-7 times during the first successful POST.

If it really is doing it in an indefinite loop though, I'd say RAM instability is probably the next most likely culprit. In which case, I'd try the following, in this order:

Firstly, make sure both sticks of RAM are properly seated all the way into their slots, and that the retaining clips if there are any (the tabs you push down to open the slots before inserting the RAM) for both have sprung all the way back up. It sometimes takes a little more force than you'd think to get RAM seated properly, although obviously don't go totally crazy and break anything.

If the above doesn't make any difference, it's time to check for a bad RAM stick or slot:

1. Remove both RAM sticks and try POSTing with just one, in whichever slot your motherboard recommends for a single-stick setup. If the first stick you try doesnt get a POST, take it out and try the other stick instead. If neither works, you could have two bad sticks (v unlikely), or a bad slot.
  2. Repeat the step above for the other RAM slot, one stick at a time. If you get a POST in one slot but not the other, or with one stick but not the other, you've likely found your culprit.
  3. If none of the above works, it's unlikely to be a RAM issue - but at least you'll be able to eliminate a common cause of these sorts of issues.
  • 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks for the info. I'll most definitely try this and let you know!

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah buddy keep us in the loop, we'll get there!

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks for all the support!

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you so much for that advice. I've got visual!! I guess my ram either wasn't pushed in far enough or they needed to be switched. Either way thank you!!

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Sweeeeet! Stoked for ya mate. Now onward to glory! :)

Ps, worth checking that your PC is recognising the full 8GB of RAM (in Windows, go via Start Menu -> Settings -> System -> About) just to be sure that both sticks and both slots are healthy. If it's only saying you've got 4GB active or anything like that, it'd suggest a bad stick - in which case, maybe that was the one in the 'preferred' slot when you were having issues. Hopefully not though, fingers crossed it was just a case of not having one of them properly seated and all is now good.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 23 months ago
  • 3 points

That is impossible for him to do since he was an R3 1200.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube