add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC Power Issue

4Shadow
  • 23 months ago

PC will unexpectedly turn off, it then turns on 1 second afterwards, might be the psu, maybe not. All help is appreciated

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/4Shadow/saved/dTbqsY

Please not that the power supply in the build is not the actual one, actual power supply is a 600W white EVGA.

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Does it only shutoff under load? For example, does it boot to the desktop and browse the Internet no problem, but when you start a full-screen game it shuts off?

Frankly I think the PSU you have is a little under-powered to begin with. Lets say your PSU is 80% efficient, it puts out 480W and the other 120W is lost to heat, in a system that needs around 400W of power to run... as your PSU ages it degrades becoming less efficient. Could it be your PSU, if it's a few years old yes it could be your PSU.

Also when did you last clean your PC, replace the paste between your CPU and heatsync? Yes heat can be an issue, normally your PC's thermal protections should probably throttle your CPU to lessen the amount of heat being produced. But if your system is full of dust (dust can act as a thermal insulator) naturally your system will run hot and eventually your PC should shut itself off to protect itself from damage. Also the paste between heatsyncs dries out and becomes less effective over time. I clean my PC of dust and redo my paste every 12 months.

A little bit of preventative maintenance is a good idea when you own a PC that cost you thousands to buy and will cost you thousands to replace if something happens to it. For example, a condition called tracking can occur where the accumulated dust in a system becomes damp from humidity and causes shorts to occur between the circuit paths of your electronic devices.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube