add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What is the safe voltage for overclocking Ryzen 1700X?

epiktek
  • 23 months ago

I was wondering what was the safe voltage for overclocking Ryzen 1700X?

I ask because despite many videos of enthusiasts/hobbyists overclocking their Ryzen 7 to 4GHz, definitions on stability is subjective. For example Paul from Paul's Hardware merely runs a single test on Cinebench, and he seems to overclock for the geek factor of it just to see how far he can push a CPU. Then you have JayzTwoCents who seems to frown on overclocking because he says he's all about stability.

As a newb, it's hard to sort through the practical from the enthusiastic. I guess if you're willing to build your own PC, chances are, you lean more toward the enthusiastic spectrum, but honestly, I'd say I'm more practical.

So far I've been trying to overclock my Ryzen 1700X, but I haven't been successful. My most stable spec was 3.85 GHz and 1.35V with offset of +.025. I saw an AMD sponsored video of one of their techs overclocking, and he says any Ryzen 7 chip should handle 4 GHz, and he overclocks his chip to 4 GHz from the outset. I followed his step-by-step video to a T, but my Cinebench freezes from the outset. At 3.95, my Cinebench froze the 12th straight time I ran it. On Aida 65, it failed within 15 seconds. I've never been able to pass the AMD RealBench other than default settings, because it says it failed to "parse specs." Maybe it's because I've set up my RAM to 3200MHz 14-14-14-34... I've heard this is not achievable with Ryzen chips, even if the RAM is rated for that speed. I have a Flare X 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 so I don't understand why I need to downclock RAM to overclock chip... very confusing.

Right now I'm set up on 3.85 GHz, and I ran Aida 64 without any problems for 28 minutes.

Trying to figure out if I should try to push it more by increasing voltage, or whether I should just let it be.

I know there's a lot of disagreement on voltage...

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Keep inching the clock up without touching voltage until your clock drastically drops. Then move up the voltage a tiny bit by .04-.06 and then it will hopefully run at the clock you set it. Personally my R5 1500x is a beast, 3.9 ghz using the m9a, hits 70 under load. If you were to push any Ryzen past that it would start thermal throttling and becoming unstable.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, very impressive OC.

I don't know what you mean though by clock dropping... when I fail Cinebench, it just freezes. There's no dropping of clock or any warning.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, I wouldn’t move the clock any higher then. But if the CPU doesn’t have enough voltage for the OC you set it at it goes to something like 300 MHz. You would have noticed likely.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Overclocking is a bit of a lottery and not all chips will hit the same clocks at the same voltage. I would look up the specs sheet for your chip and see what max voltage is listed as and stay a little bit under it. I never like to push max rated voltage because while it may work for a while if your VRMs aren't up to the job you will get rapid degradation. You could also try setting your RAM to 3000Mhz if you you want, it might work or it might make no difference but it doesn't hurt to try it.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I see...

How can you tell there's been degradation?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Degradation usually starts off by making an overclock unstable which results in either having to drop clocks or push voltage even higher. It doesn't happen right away and could take months to start actually causing issues. If you pushed things way too far then you will get a very unstable experience with the PC and as you have to crank voltage things will eventually pop on the motherboard. As long as you stay within the recommended voltage limit and have a good motherboard you should be perfectly fine. Gamers Nexus has lots of excellent in depth videos on how overclocking affects both the motherboard and CPU. I highly recommend their content.

[comment deleted]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

My motherboard is Asus Strix X370-F.

Anyway I currently have my Flare X 3200 14-14-14-34 set to DOCP Standard - 3200 Mhz 14-14-14-34. I have not played any games on it, nor have I really tested it out yet. I've just been running benchmark tests.

So far it passed the RealBench for 15 minutes. I set the DRAM voltage to 1.375 from 1.35. My CPU voltage is set to 1.381V with an offset of .03125... I have no idea how to interpret the CPU voltage... I don't know if it means the voltage is 1.381, or if it's 1.381 + .03125.

Also the SOC is set to 1.150V, but the dropdown menu is set to "Auto." Once again, no idea what this means... whether it's set to 1.150V or Auto or both?? I don't understand why the Bios couldn't be clear.

My temps are nothing too unusual or alarming. According to CAM, my CPU temp is around 23-33C on idle, 44C on GPU. When I ran AIDA 64 for 28 minutes or RealBench, the highest I ever saw the CPU temp go was I think 50s.

I have a Kraken X62, so it's nice that I don't hear fans blasting, like I do in other people's videos. I thought I was getting Kraken for aesthetics, but I totally think it was worth it to not hear the fans going berserk when the computer's heating up.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube